Tuesday 5 January 2021

Statistics 2020

 
My statistics for the last years are here:
Going back to 2009-12, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 
 
And these are the results of my reading lists for 2020:

* Statistics 2020 *
 
I read books that contributed to the following challenges. Some of them count for more than one category:

Challenges (number of books read for the challenges in brackets)
The 100 best Non-fiction Books of All Time as Chosen by The Guardian (0)
Best European Literature (4)
Bildungsroman (3)

I'm sure I read more books in that direction but these are typical for this genre.
Book Bingo 2020
(10)
Books That Changed the World (0)
A Century of Books (1)
Children's Books (7)
The Classics Club (13): The Classics Spin (4)
4 for the Classics Spin, 13 in total
Esperanto Books (1)
Emma's Book Club - Our shared shelf (0)
An ever growing list of books about and for women, a group started by Emma Watson (better known as Hermione Granger), UN Woman Goodwill Ambassador.
Favourite (German) Independent Books (2)
(Das Lieblingsbuch der Unabhängigen = The Favourite Book of the Independents)
German Books (18)
Le Monde - The 100 Books of the Century (0)
My Favourite Books Ever (16)
Every year I find some more books I can add to my list of favourite books. 16 this year.
Nobel Peace Prize (0)
Nobel Prize Winners and Their Books (7)
Oprah's Book Club (0)
Oscar Winning Books (2)
Peace Prize of the German Book Trade (2)

(German: Friedenspreis des Deutschen Buchhandels)
Reading Challenge - Chunky Books 2020 (18)
I read 18 chunky books in 2020 of which 7 are considered a chunkster.
Reading the World (1)
Suggestions from Friends (1)
The "Piggybank" Challenge 2020
(78)
The 78 books I read this year resulted in €156 to spend on something nice.
The non-western books that every student should read (0)
Top Ten Tuesday
I took part in 50 of the challenges, this is a great way of reminiscing or planning your reads.
Travel the World Through Books (1)
Twitterature (2)

Some of the challenges are older and I only add to them if I happen to read one of the books.

Book Club 2017 etc. (12)
Esperanto (1)
Here, we read mostly short stories.

Books Read: 78
Pages read: 30.650
393 pages/book, 84 pages/day, 6.5 books/month
The average novel contains between 140 and 320 pages, i.e. 230 = 133 books in 2020 (that's only one fewer than last year, somehow I had the feeling I hadn't read as much)

Books dating from which year:
Pre 1800s: none
1800s: 12
1900-1949: 12
1950-1999: 15
2000s: 45 (3 of which from 2020)

Male Authors: 48
Female Authors: 36
Both: 2

Nobel Prize Winners: 7

Fiction: 58
Non-Fiction: 27

Chunky Books - more than 450 pages: 18, more than 750: 7
Library: none
Re-Read: 1
TBR Pile: 26


Oldest Book: 1807
Staël, Anne-Louise-Germaine de "Corinne ou l'Italie" (Corinne: Or Italy/Corinna oder Italien) - 1807
Newest Book: 2019
Osman, Richard "The Thursday Murder Club" - 2020
Longest book: 1,168 pages
Undset, Sigrid "Kristin Lavransdatter" (Norwegian: Kristin Lavransdatter/Kristin Lavranstochter) - 1920-22
Shortest book: 64 pages
Hubbard, Fra Elbert "A Message to Garcia" (Nachricht an Garcia) - 1899
Longest book title: 41
Stelter, Bernd "Das Leben ist zu kurz, um schlechten Wein zu trinken" [Life is too short to drink bad wine] - 2004
Shortest Book Title: 5
Rutherford, Edward "Sarum: the Novel of England" (Sarum) - 1987

Funniest Books:
Kaminer, Wladimir "Mein deutsches Dschungelbuch" [My German Jungle Book] - 2003
Wodehouse, P.G. "Right Ho, Jeeves" - 1934
Saddest Book:
Thomson, Mike "Syria's Secret Library" - 2018

New author (for me) that I would like to read more from: 12
Cathleen Booth, Erika Fatland, Maxim Gorky
(Максима Горького), Evelyne Hespel, Shappi Khorsandi, David Malouf, Benjamin Myers, Richard Osman, Delia Owens, Ayn Rand, Helen Russell, P.G. Wodehouse

Translated Books:
Translated Books: 13 from 6 languages
3 from Norwegian
2 from Polish, Russian, Swedish
1 from Finnish, Italian, Spanish, Turkish
Books read in another language:
18 German, 7 French, 1 Esperanto

Numbers in Book Titles: 343, Ten
Place Names in Book Titles: Denmark, Europe, Germany, Kazakhstan, Kleve, Kyrgyzstan, Monte-Cristo, Oz, Petersburg, Peyton Place, Primeval, Provence, Sanditon, Santiago, Sarum, Scotland, Siberia, Solaris, Syria, Szechwan, Tajikistan, Trulala, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Names in Book Titles: Adèle, Agnes, Anna, Corinne, Erika, Frankenstein, Garcia, Grimm, Grey, Jeeves, Kristin, Kühn, Lavransdatter, Nickel, Peter, Prince Serebrenni, Saki, Shakespeare, Wooster
Colours in Book Titles: Black, Grey, Red

My Favourite Books: 17

Wodehouse, P. G. "Right Ho, Jeeves" - 1934
Falcones, Ildefonso "Die Erben der Erde" (Los herederos de la tierra/La catedral del mar #2/The heirs of the earth) (La catedral del mar #2) - 2016 (I will review this once it's translated into English.)
Stelter, Bernd "Nie wieder Ferienhaus" [Never again a holiday cottage] - 2004
Taylor, Helen "Why Women Read Fiction. The Stories of Our Lives" - 2019
Rand, Ayn "We the Living" - 1936
Khorsandi, Shappi "A Beginner's Guide to Acting English" - 2009
Russell, Helen "The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country" - 2015
Weir, Alison "Six Tudor Queens. Anna of Kleve. Queen of Secrets" (The Princess in the Portrait, American title) - 2019
Owens, Delia "Where the Crawdads Sing" - 2017
Borrmann, Mechtild "Grenzgänger. Die Geschichte einer verlorenen deutschen Kindheit" [Cross-border commuters. The story of a lost German childhood] - 2018
Booth, Cathleen "Mercy & Grace on the Camino de Santiago" - 2020
Hislop, Victoria "Those Who Are Loved" - 2019
Whitehead, Colson "The Nickel Boys" - 2019
Rutherford, Edward "Sarum: the Novel of England" - 1987
Zweig, Stefanie "Nirgendwo war Heimat. Mein Leben auf zwei Kontinenten" [Home was Nowhere. My Life on Two Continents] - 2012
Metalious, Grace "Peyton Place" - 1957
Myers, Benjamin "The Offing" - 2019
 
With my books, I visited places in the following countries:
Africa (6):
Congo, Egypt, Kenya, Mauritius, Tanzania, Togo
Asia (21):
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cambodia, China, India, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, North Korea, Palestine, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UAE, Uzbekistan, Yemen
Europe (27):
Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, The UK
North America (7):
Belize, Canada, Caribbean, Costa Rica, Cuba, Panama, USA
South America (4):
Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Peru
Australia/Oceania (3):
Australia, New Zealand, Oceania
Extra-terrestrial (2)
Everywhere (5)
Others/Anywhere (2)
Countries "visited" in total: 68

See also "My Year in Books" on Goodreads.

You may find some even greater statistics by better bloggers than me, e.g. at "Stuck in a Book".
 
If you want more information on any of the lists mentioned, please, let me know.

18 comments:

  1. The statistics of reading are always fun to compile and to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I always love to see them on other blogs and I have a great time reminiscing on my reading year.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you were quite thorough in your reading details for 2020!! Looks like you had a great year in reading last year. Good luck with your reading goals for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I "work" on them all year long but it's so nice to go through all those notes again and put them together in one post.

      Happy Reading Year for you, too.

      Delete
  3. Wow, 7 books over 750pp is amazing! I think my longest was just under 700pp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love big chunky books. I always say, a book starts to get interesting after page 500. 😉

      No, but honestly, they are usually so much more detailed and have so much more to say. But we all read what we enjoy, so someone yho reads short stories probably gets just as much pleasure from them as I do from the long ones.

      Which one was your longest book? I'll have to see whether you did any statistcs.

      Happy reading in 2021.

      Delete
  4. This was fun to read. Such a detailed report for the year. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. As I said ^^ above, I'm working on it all year long. And I love that you love it.

      Happy Reading.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading these stats. I bet you enjoyed compiling them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so I did. I collect the data all year long, of course, and then, when I put it all together, I remember all those great reads of the year.

      Thanks for your visit. Happy Reading year.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic statistics! You have read so many different books from different authors, times and countries. Quite a variety.
    I read Kristin Lavransdattir the other year and found it very 'fresh' considering when it was written. Very good. The Thursday Murder Club sounds good. It has to come up on my wish list.
    I am now in Innsbruck and brought with me a huge bag of books. Sarum is among them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. Yes, thanks to all my international friends, I always get great recommendations. I love that.

      You are right about "Kristin Lavransdatter", it's amazing how contemporary and up-to-date it feels. That's what makes a great classic. I'm glad I read it.

      How long will you be in Innsbruck for? Are the shops open? Over here, most shops are closed but you can order stuff and then pick it up. Still, less browsing. Which is good for me.

      Have a good time in Austria. And happy Reading.

      Delete
  7. Amazingly comprehensive stats post! The longest book I read this year was Sunflower Sisters by Martha Hall Kelly (580 I think). Happy reading in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reading Lady. I've done this for a couple of years now (as you surely have seen), so it's easier by now.

      I just love big books, therefore there will always be "a few" on my list.

      Thanks for your visitn. And also a Happy Reading Year.

      Delete
  8. An impressive number of challenges. I like how you put the countries you visited in continents. It makes more sense. I usually just go by the order in which I read, which ends up as a big mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I do a few challenges but some of the books appear onmore than one.

      I couldn't say that your lists are a big mess, they are always very inspirational. If that's the way you want to do it, it's the right way. I've just always been a list kind of person who likes to have them in some sort of order. Not that I'm not OCD in any other way (you should see our house, LOL) but with lists I seem to be. LOL.

      Anyway, thanks for your visit and your input. Have a great reading year.

      Delete
    2. Oh I do love ordered lists too, lol
      I also have books working for several challenges

      Delete
    3. I'm sure we all do, have books working for several challenges, that is. They are the best. LOL

      Have a good weekend.

      Delete