Wednesday 30 March 2022

Bythell, Shaun "Confessions of a Bookseller"

Bythell, Shaun "Confessions of a Bookseller" - 2019

After having read and thoroughly enjoyed "The Diary of a Bookseller", I was really happy to find that Shaun Bythell had written a second book, "Confessions of a Bookseller". Now, these "Confessions" are similar to the sarcastic comments I loved so much in the "Diary".

If you liked his first book, you should definitely read this one. If you haven't read either of them, you should start reading both, I assure you, you, you will devour them.

We follow Shaun through a year in the bookshop. He tells us how many customers come to the shop every day, how much money goes through the till, that is quite interesting. But even more interesting is the way he acquires those books, his visits to houses where a whole library is sold or people bringing in boxes of books they'd like to sell.

Then there is the talk with customers who would like to haggle. I think everyone believes that once it is second hand, they can ask for a discount because it "didn't cost anything in the first place". Yes, it is. And if a second-hand shop puts a price on an item, I can either take it at that price or leave it. After I read the first book, I found comments by some of his customers on how rude he was. I think, some of them should be grateful that they made it out of the shop alive. The author is very witty and very funny. I think only that gets him through the day.

Anyone who has always dreamt of opening a second-hand bookshop should definitely read this before. I still would love it but, customers, beware!

I hope that I can visit this shop and its author one day. He also has a website: The Bookshop. And a blog.

From the back cover:

"'Do you have a list of your books, or do I just have to stare at them?'

Shaun Bythell is the owner of The Bookshop in Wigtown, Scotland. With more than a mile of shelving, real log fires in the shop and the sea lapping nearby, the shop should be an idyll for bookworms.

Unfortunately, Shaun also has to contend with bizarre requests from people who don't understand what a shop is, home invasions during the Wigtown Book Festival and Granny, his neurotic Italian assistant who likes digging for river mud to make poultices.
"

As the owner of The Bookshop in Wigtown, Scotland, you might think Shaun Bythell's days are taken up with sorting through rare and valuable first editions - or snoozing by the fire with the latest literary gem. But you'd be wrong. Instead, beset by bizarre requests from customers who appear not to know what a shop is, locked in an endless struggle with Amazon and terrorised by his bin-diving, poultice-making employees, Shaun's trials and tribulations make his life very far from a fairy tale."

And now I am looking forward to "Seven Types of People You Find in Bookshops" (Goodreads).

10 comments:

  1. This series sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most readers would enjoy his books, they are just hilarious. Thanks, Deb.

      Delete
  2. I love books like this! I don't know how I missed Bythell's Diary of a Bookseller, but I plan on remedying that as soon as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all, Lark? He's got a great sense of humour and his stories are just so funny. Enjoy.

      Delete
  3. Hilarious! I have always wanted to have my own bookshop, so this sounds like I would enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sarah. One would think that he tries to talk you out of it but even his grumpy customers makes you want to do it even more. LOL

      Delete
  4. This one sounds super fun! I'd never heard of these books before, but I'm putting them on my TBR list now. Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. They are super fun. A really great book to read in between or - like in my case - read in small doses. Not necessarily one day at a time but maybe a week or two.

      Delete
  5. I loved the first book and will definitely read the second...one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think whoever loved the first book will want to read the second, and the third, and any other if he writes more, which I hope he will. He is just hilarious.

      Delete