Wednesday 9 March 2022

Harari, Yuval Noah "21 Lessons for the 21st Century"

Harari, Yuval Noah "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" - 2018

A brilliant follow-up to "Sapiens" and "Homo Deus". This is another book that I think everyone should read. The author shows us what the future might have in mind for us and how we should get prepared. And I don*t talk about the fear of war or natural disasters due to climate change but about everyday life. What should we study to get a decent job? More importantly, what should our children study in order to get through their lives? My parents and grandparents would leave school at age 14 or 15, do an apprenticeship and many of them worked in the same company for the rest of their lives. Once they finished their apprenticeship, they could do what they learn for decades without having to learn anything new. That is not the case anymore. That wasn't the case for my generation, that isn't the case for tomorrow's generation and it certainly will not be the case for the next generation after that.

So, we need clever people like Yuval Harari to tell us what might happen, what we can do in order not to be afraid of the future. He does exactly that. His recommendations make sense and are well-founded, he explains every single remark he makes. What's even better, he explains it in such a way that even people who don't understand much about science (like myself) can follow his explanations. And also about politics, global economy, anything that concerns us and influences our lives.

I heartily recommend this and his other books. They are just fantastic. I hope he will write more.

From the back cover:

"Sapiens showed us where we came from. Homo Deus looked to the future. 21 Lessons for the 21st Century explores the present.

How can we protect ourselves from nuclear war, ecological cataclysms and technological disruptions? What can we do about the epidemic of fake news or the threat of terrorism? What should we teach our children?

Yuval Noah Harari takes us on a thrilling journey through today’s most urgent issues. The golden thread running through his exhilarating new book is the challenge of maintaining our collective and individual focus in the face of constant and disorienting change. Are we still capable of understanding the world we have created?
"

6 comments:

  1. I read 'Sapiens' back in 2016 and thought it was pretty interesting. I have 'Deus' in a book pile but haven't picked up '21 Lessons' yet. Definitely sounds worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is interesting. It also took me a while to pick it up but I think it is a great book for the next generation. Be prepared! and all that.

      Delete
  2. I ended up being so bored with Sapiens, which surprised even me. I might have to give one of the others a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, well, maybe this isn't for you. However, this is slightly different from his other books and, as I said, I recommend it to anyone who still has to work for a while or who has children. Their future will be very different from ours.

      Delete
  3. A (very knowledgeable) friend recently told me that actually lots of facts in his books are wrong, so I'm quite confused and not sure now if I really want to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Emma. I haven't heard that so far and some of his stuff sounds really good. I will definitely investigate. Thanks for that.

      Delete