Saturday 5 March 2022

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From The End of the Affair to Where the Crawdads Sing

The End of the Affair
Greene, Graham "The End of the Affair" - 1951

#6Degrees of Separation:

from The End of the Affair to Where the Crawdads Sing

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.

Kate chose this book because it is a modern classic. And I have even read it which doesn't happen very often with this challenge.

A story of a love affair between a man and a married wife. Often it is the other way around, so I thought I try to find another book where this happens. I didn't have to look very far, one of my favourite authors has written a book where that is part of the story.

Hislop, Victoria "One August Night" - 2020

One of the protagonists is in prison in this story, so I thought about one of the most famous prison stories immediately. I must say, I did this list about a month ago when the starter book was just decided but it is one of the books everyone should read at the moment, given the actual political circumstances.

Solzhenitsyn, Alexander "His Great Stories" (One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich;
For the Good of the Cause; Matryona's House; An Incident at Krechetovka Station) (RUS: Оди́н день Ива́на Дени́совича Odin den' Ivana Denisovicha; Для пользы дела/ lja pol'zy dela; Матрёнин двор/Matrjonin dvor; Случай на станции Кречетовка/Sluchaj na stancii Krechetovka) - 1962/63

I love Russian literature and a lot of the novels are sad stories, so I thought I have to look for something positive about that country. There is a young German guy who loves to travel through "couchsurfing". He visits people in countries that most of us don't visit as a tourist, and hes's been to Russia. A lovely account of his meetings with the Russian people, the "ordinary guy" from the street.

Orth, Stephan Couchsurfing in Russia: Friendships and Misadventures Behind Putin’s Curtain" (GE: Couchsurfing in Russland. Wie ich fast zum Putin-Versteher wurde) - 2017

Which made me think of my own travels and my dreams of where to travel next when I was younger. One of my dream destinations was Israel. I went there in the 1980s and loved it. I have read quite a few books about this country (see here) but I wanted to find a book about the country that had nothing to do with religion or politics. This is one of them.

Shalev, Meir "Four Meals" (Hebr: כימים אחדים aka "As a Few Days" or "The Loves of Judith") - 1994

We read about an orphaned boy with three fathers. This made me think of a much better known orphan and her story.

Brontë, Charlotte "Jane Eyre" - 1847

Young Jane has to fend for herself from a very young age. That brought me to another young girl in a newer book, one that many people have read and loved and I hope I can convince anyone who sees this and hasn't read the book to the decision to pick it up. It really is great.

Owens, Delia "Where the Crawdads Sing" - 2018
So, this journey led me from England to Greece to Russia to Israel back to England and then to the USA. The books describe all sorts of problematic lives. I liked them all.

Look for further monthly separation posts here.

18 comments:

  1. I love that these posts allows you to showcase such a wide variety of books; despite being links in a chain, they are unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Sarah. And we can link them however we like. One of the bloggers listed books with the title "green" or the name "Green/Greene", others always use words for th enext link in the chain, I just go where my inspiration takes me, different every time. But always enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. My 'Ice cream' tag is up:

    https://cyberkittenspot.blogspot.com/2022/03/ice-cream-book-tag-i-saw-this-over-at.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitten, I haven't looked at the blogs I follow, yet, would have done so in a minute. Looking forward to your answers.

      Delete
  3. You really went around the world with this one. Fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often seem to end up with world tours, Lark, probably because I love reading all around the world. LOL

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, it was so interesting to put them together. I love the idea and am always grateful that you carry this on.

      Delete
  5. Wow... what a great chain. I live in Israel and I know Meir Shalev but mostly from his children's books (that I used to read to my kids). I really should try one of his adult books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I have only read this one by him, didn't know he also wrote children's books. I will have to check him out.

      Delete
  6. "Where the Crawdads Sing" has been on my TBR shelf since it first came out. I am DETERMINED to read it within the next couple of months. Thanks for the reminder! Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. We all have those books we are desperate to read and then other things come up ... like books. LOL

      Thanks for your comment, made me happy.

      Delete
  7. I have read a few Victoria Hislop books over the years, but I haven't read the one you mention here. Might have to get onto that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is her latest, Marg, a sequel to "The Island" which was the first book I read by her and how I fell in love with her books. Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  8. Awesome chain! Your last book is very popular, but I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is indeed, Emma. The only reason I read it was because it was on the shelf in one of our local bookshops. They don't sell many English books, so I thought I give it a try. And then it received the prize of the The Favourite Book of the Independents in Germany, that would have been another reason. I quite liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices. I loved The End of the Affair, am a fan of Graham Greene. Maybe I loved it more because, for once, I was listening to it. Guess who was the narrator? Colin Firth. With such lovely English in your ears you can go on forever.
    Jane Eyre and Where the Crawdads sing are also favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Lisbeth. I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks, as you know. But narrated by Colin Firth, that must have been fantastic. Yes, his English accdent is admirable, so lovely and charming and pacifying.

      I have only read "Brighton Rock" and "The End of the Affair" so far, I really ought to pick more by Graham Greene. Any favourites?

      Delete