Friday 25 March 2022

Book Quotes of the Week

   

"Reading a lot from the distant past furnishes one's head with rich, strange language and cadence that stay around forever." Olivia Laing

I always find there is so much to learn from the classics and from history. Maybe, if we all took it to heart, history wouldn't repeat itself that often.

"How many a woman has dated a new era in her life from the reading of a book." Henry David Thoreau

Hopefully many. I know this goes for me.

"Literature is its own republic where people can live and work together and, maybe more than anything, communicate perfectly - in depth, empathetically, morally, intellectually and in a revolutionary spirit." Olga Tokarczuk

I love the "Republic of Literature", it is inhabited by smart people. I have always found like-minded spirits in the literary society, whether in real life or online. 
 
Find more book quotes here.  

6 comments:

  1. Love that Thoreau quote...but then I'm a big fan of Henry David Thoreau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Lark, I haven't read anything by him but I believe I have quoted him here more than once. I'm not a huge fan of reading poetry but "Walden" is still on my wishlist.

      Delete
    2. I love Walden, and I've liked several of his other essays. Not everyone does, but his words speak to me. :)

      Delete
    3. As I said, Lark, it's on my wishlist so something (or someone) must have attracted me to it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I am always amazed how many different and great quotes there are, Sarah. When I first started this, I was afraid I'd run out one day. Now, after more than ten years, I am sure I will never run out. It just gets harder to check that I don't repeat myself too often. LOL

      Delete