Thursday 10 March 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. The Shadow of the Wind

 

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Shadow of the Wind" (Spanish: La Sombra del Viento) - 2001
(El cementerio de los libros olvidados #1

This was the first novel I read by this wonderful author, Carlos Ruiz Zafón. There were many more to follow, however, there are never enough books if you like someone's writing and we were all very sad about his early passing at the age of 55 in 2020.

This novel and its sequels certainly deserve to be on my list of favourite books ever.

This book is intriguing, exciting, has all the parts a good book should have, an interesting story, a historical background, a description of a great city. And, it's a book about a book, that's always exciting for avid readers.

But I couldn't just remind everyone of this first book in the tetralogy, I really have to mention the other three, as well. The great thing here is, you can read them in any sequence you want.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Angel's Game" (E: El juego del ángel - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2) - 2008
- "The Prisoner of Heaven" (E: El prisionero del cielo - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #3) - 2011
- "The Labyrinth of the Spirits" (E: El laberinto de los espíritus - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #4) - 2016

Find more books by this great author here.

Read more on my original post here

10 comments:

  1. I read his 'The Watcher in the Shadows' a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I think it was a 'teen' novel but still scared the bleep out of me in places. If I'd read it at the age it was aimed at it'd definitely have given me nightmares! I have a few of his as yet unread. Maybe this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds exactly like the feelings, Ruiz Zafón is giving us with most of his novels. But they are fantastic. Yes, go ahead, read anything by him that you have on your pile, Kitten. And then get the others. ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Most people do, Sarah. He was such a fantastic writer and I have read all his books. What a shame there aren't more.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my all time favourite books! So glad to see people still posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marg, mine, too. I posted this ten years ago but with #ThrowBackThursday we can bring back books we loved and remind people about them. There are so many people who haven't read this. Yet, I hope.

      Delete
  4. I stopped the book after maybe 60%, and I can't even remember why. I'll need to give it another try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it wasn't for you, Emma? I loved all of his books. Have you tried any others?

      Delete
  5. They are all definitely on the all time favourite list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely, Lisbeth. They will be one of the classics of our time.

      Delete