Sunday 6 March 2022

Spell Ukraine

 UKRAINE UKRAINE UKRAINE

We elect a new mayor in our town today. While emotions have been high between the supports of each of the three candidates, I've been thinking. Aren't we lucky that we have a choice and that we can be sure that at the end of the day the candidate will win who has the most voters behind them? Look at countries where hardly anyone goes anymore because "they are all crooks". And then look at countries that have an election and people go but it is clear who is going to win. And then that guy does whatever he likes. That's a dictatorship, nothing else.

So, I thought to pick up another idea, again not mine, one that I found on Instagram (see here). Spell the name of the Ukraine with book titles. I've been trying to find one-word titled books that could mean something to the instigator of this war. Except for the first one, they all have something to do with war. But even Ulysses certainly would have a lot to say about this subject.

"Ulysses" - James Joyce - 1922
"Kallocain" (SW: Kallocain) - Karin Boye - 1940
"Ragnarok. The End of the Gods" - A.S. Byatt - 2011
"August 1914" ["The Red Wheel" cycle] (RUS: Солженицын, Александр Исаевич/Узел I - «Август Четырнадцатого», Красное колесо) - Alexander Solzhenitsyn - 1971
"In the Memory of the Forest" - Charles T. Powers - 1997
"Night" (F: La Nuit/Yiddish: Un di Velt Hot Geshvign)  - Eli Wiesel - 1958
"Echoes of Violence: Letters from a War Reporter" (GE: Von den Kriegen. Briefe an Freund) - Carolin Emcke - 2004

8 comments:

  1. Those last three titles are especially pertinent and poignant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. And the one by Solzhenitsyn, of course. It was interesting how quickly I could come up with most of the titles this time.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. I'm going to do this, maybe I will have time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I mean the idea of doing this for Ukraine is beautiful. Not the part about the war. I need to think before I type!

      Delete
    2. I don't think anyone would have misunderstood the meaning of your thoughts, Sarah. And yes, the more people are doing this, the more the message will go out into the world, hopefully. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. What a good idea. I guess there are enough books about war. I recognise Kallocain. Started reading it, but forgot it in Innsbruck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure, Lisbeth. I have more than 250 on my list alone. I didn't mean to start with war books and they don't all fall into that category but I noticed after picking a few that it would fit as a subtitle for this idea.

      Delete
    2. As to Kallocain, you can always pick it up the next time you're in Innsbruck again.

      Delete