Tuesday 1 March 2022

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Trilogies

        

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is Books I Enjoyed, but Have Never Mentioned On My Blog

These books don't exist. I have been blogging for eleven years and have caught up with all the books I read in the past. So, I have to come up with a twist again. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception lately. Maybe I've been doing this challenge for too long. But I love it.

So, I have decided to twist the topic again. I love trilogies, they are even better than big books of a thousand pages because together they are even longer.
So, I will start with two of my favourite authors who both have written a tetralogy:

Follett, Ken "The Pillars of the Earth" (Kingsbridge #1) - 1989
- "World Without End" (Kingsbridge #2) - 2007
- "A Column of Fire" (Kingsbridge #3) - 2017
- "The Evening and the Morning"
(Kingsbridge #0) - 2020

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Shadow of the Wind" (E: La sombra del viento - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #1) - 2001
- "The Angel's Game" (E: El juego del ángel
- El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2) - 2008
- "The Prisoner of Heaven" (E: El prisionero del cielo - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #3) - 2011
- "The Labyrinth of the Spirits" (E: El laberinto de los espíritus - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #4) - 2016

I have read many trilogies but will list my ten favourite ones.


Allende, Isabel "The House of the Spirits" (E: La casa de los espíritus) (The House of the Spirits #1) - 1982
- "Daughter of Fortune" (E: Hija de la fortuna) (The House of the Spirits #2) - 1999
- "Portrait in Sepia" (E: Retrato en sepia) (The House of the Spirits #3) - 2000

Buck, Pearl S. "The Good Earth" (House of Earth Trilogy #1) - 1931
- "Sons" (House of Earth Trilogy #2) - 1932
- "A House Divided" (House of Earth Trilogy #3) - 1935 (Goodreads)

Follett, Ken "Fall of Giants" (Century Trilogy #1) - 2010
- "Winter of the World" (Century Trilogy #2) - 2012
- "Edge of Eternity" (Century Trilogy #3) - 2014

Ghosh, Amitav "Sea of Poppies" (Ibis Trilogy #1) - 2008
- "River of Smoke" (Ibis Trilogy #2) - 2011
- "Flood of Fire
" (Ibis Trilogy #3) - 2015 


Mahfouz, Naguib "Palace Walk" (arab. بين القصرين/Bayn al-qasrayn) (Cairo Trilogy #1) - 1956
- "Palace of Desire" (arab: قصر الشوق/Qasr el-Shōq)
(Cairo Trilogy #2) - 1957 
- "Sugar Street" (السكرية/Al-Sukkariyya) (Cairo Trilogy #3) - 1957

Mantel, Hilary "Wolf Hall" (The Wolf Hall Trilogy #1) - 2009
-
"Bring up the Bodies"
(The Wolf Hall Trilogy #2) - 2012
- "The Mirror and the Light" (The Wolf Hall Trilogy #3) - 2020

McCourt, Frank "Angela's Ashes" (Frank McCourt #1) - 1996
- "'Tis: A Memoir" (Frank McCourt #2) - 1999

- "Teacher Man. A Memoir 1949-1985"
(Frank McCourt #3) - 2005

Palma, Félix J. "The Map of Time" (E: El mapa del tiempo) - 2008
-
"
The Map of the Sky" (E: El mapa del cielo) - 2012  
- "The Map of Chaos" (E: El mapa del caos) - 2014 

Stroyar, J.N. "The Children's War" - 2001
- "A Change of Regime" (The Children's War #2) - 2004
-
"Becoming Them" (The Children's War #3) - 2017

Turner, Nancy E. "These is my Words" (Sarah Agnes Prine Trilogy #1) - 1999
- "Sarah's Quilt"
(Sarah Agnes Prine Trilogy #2) - 2006
- "The Star Garden" (Sarah Agnes Prine Trilogy #3) - 2017

There are so many brilliant books with brilliant sequels, I hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

22 comments:

  1. I do love a good book series - especially when one book in a world you like or with characters you love just isn't enough! I've just finished an alternate-history trilogy yesterday called 'The Alchemy War' which had a rather sad (my fave character died at the end) but brilliantly executed. I'm now really looking forward to the author's other trilogy based in WW2 using magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitten. I had never heard of "The Alchemy War" or its author, Ian Tregillis, and just googled it. I suppose you talk about "The Milkweed Triptych" as the WW2 one. I'm not a huge fan of either fantasy or sci-fi but I love dystopian/alternate history stories, sometimes the overlap and then its sort of okay. Might try one of his books.

      Delete
    2. Although not a huge fan of Fantasy myself I've been reading Sci-Fi for around 50 years now and am still loving it. I picked up both series initially because they had great covers. Tregillis writes really well, often dramatic and funny but with some deeper philosophical questions just below the surface. I find his characterisation to be very good indeed which is always a big plus for me.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the covers look interesting. Thanks for your description, I had the feeling there was something behind those stories, he is on my wishlist now. Might still take a while until I get to him, my TBR pile is huuuuge.

      Delete
  2. I've read Angela's Ashes, and The Good Earth, but none of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Davida, some of them are not as known as others. But I assure you that all the trilogies (and tetralogies) are definitely worth reading.

      Delete
  3. Great choice of topic, Marianne! The Century Trilogy were my first books by Follett and I absolutely DEVOURED that series cos I loved it so much. It's definitely one of my all-time fave series! I loved Shadow of the Wind but still have to read the rest of the books and I hope to get to continue this year. Fab list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dini. For me, the first Follett book was "The Pillars of the Earth" which my husband recommended. Now, I've read many more books by him and that is still the only one hubby read. LOL

      If you enjoyed "Shadow of the Wind", you will also love the others. I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. Trilogies are great reads! I like them better than big books because they're already split up into digestible chunks, and the physical books are easier to hold than massive books are. :)

    My TTT: https://bookwyrmknits.com/2022/03/01/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-enjoyed-but-never-blogged/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there, Nicole. I have come to the age where holding books that are too heavy is quite a chore. I've already abandoned hardbacks, so trilogies will probably my best bet in future. I just love chunky books.

      Thanks for your link, I'll visit you soon as I do everyone who visited me.

      Delete
  5. I had a hard time with this topic, too. After 15 years of blogging, I feel like I've talked about every book I've ever read a hundred times over. Like you, I had to twist the topic a little. I like your topic. Apparently, I'm not very good at finishing trilogies because I've read the first two books in the McCourt series and the Turner one, but not the third books. Strange.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Susan. Not just that, we've been doing this challenge for quite a while, as well. Still, it's always nice to twist.

      Same as you, I have not finished some trilogies, sometimes the book doesn't speak to me as much, sometimes I don't want it to end. I can see the reason behind both the McCourt and the Turner books, though.

      Delete
  6. Yay for Carlos Ruiz Zafon! I love all of those books of his, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite authors, Lark. Anyone who liked one of his books will absolutely love all of them.

      Delete
  7. This is a great take on today's topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I wasn't sure but looks like some people approve.

      Delete
  8. Great series here. Absolutely love Ruiz Zafón. I have also decided lately, I have to read some more books by Ken Follett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both great authors, in their own special ways. I can recommend any of the books I have read by them, Lisbeth.

      Delete
  9. It is interesting to me that I have read the first book of 8 of your ten trilogies, but I haven't read the sequels to any of them.

    I don't know why I am always satisfied to simply read book one of a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting indeed, Deb, not that you didn't continue though that might tell us you didn't love the first books as much as I did or you never read sequels.

      May I guess which ones you haven't read from my list?
      "The Map of Time" and "The Children's War"? They are not as widely known.

      Delete
  10. The only reason I would be able to do this prompt at all would be because I am so behind on reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that's a good one, Sarah. Yes, some people take these prompts as an opportunity to review quite a few books together. Not bad at all. The main thing is make people aware of the books we love.

      Delete