Wednesday 2 March 2022

Spell the Month in Books ~ March 2022

  

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

MARCH

It's always fun to look back on books I read, especially if you have such a nice prompt to bring back your memories.

M
Austen, Jane "Mansfield Park" - 1814
The life of women was difficult in the times of Jane Austen. Fanny Price is a poor girl growing up with rich relatives. I really liked the heroine and the way she stood up to all that pressure.

A
Brontë, Anne "Agnes Grey" - 1847
Here we learn about the hard life of a governess. Anne Brontë's novels are just as great as those of her older sisters Charlotte and Emily.

R
Chevalier, Tracy "Remarkable Creatures" - 2009
Women during the Age of Enlightenment and then the French Revolution, as in most other classic books, they didn't have many chances back then.

C
Harris, Joanne "Coastliners" - 2002
Life in a French village, a woman who returns there after having lived in Paris for ten years and is confronted with her past.

H
Fredriksson, Marianne "Hanna's Daughters" (Sw: Anna, Hanna og Johanna) - 1994
A remarkable story about the life of women and how it changed during the last century. The story is situated in Sweden but it could have happened anywhere in Europe.

I think it is interesting that I found just books by and about strong women. What an interesting coincidence because I didn't look out for them, just letters that would fit the letters.

10 comments:

  1. I still have 'Mansfield Park' (and 'Northanger Abbey') to read yet. I really enjoyed 'Remarkable Creatures'. I was very impressed by the book and the real-life character [Mary Anning?] it was based on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "Mansfield Park" and "Northanger Abbey" are probably the least popular Austen novels. the latter being my least favourite one because it is so different from her others. And "Remarlable Creatures" is probably my favourite book by Tracy Chevalier, of whom I've read several very good ones. Yes, it was Mary Anning, such an interesting story about her and her findings.

      Delete
  2. I just got Emma, my first Jane Austen read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's wonderful, Jo. Enjoy. I am sure a new Jane Austen fan will be born. 😊

      Delete
  3. Love your choices for March! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. It's a lot of fun to put the titles together.

      Delete
  4. Great choices. I love Austen, but could not stand Fanny Price. I think Mansfield Park is her most boring book. Agnes Grey is good, but I prefer her book 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Tracy Chevalier is always good. I have not read this one, so something nice to look forward to. Same for Joanne Harris. I have read Marianne Fredriksson and love her books.
    So many interesting books this month. I will see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Lisbeth. I quite liked her, wasn't a fan of "Northanger Abbey" but it was supposed to be a parody. I also prefer "The Tenant ..." but that didn't fit into March. LOL
      "Remarkable Creatures" is problaby the best book by Tracy Chevalier.
      It's amazing (though not too surprising) that you have read most of those authors. Always nice to hear.

      Delete
    2. Many of my friends also love Mansfield Park. I just found it so very boring, nothing happened, and that silly play they were doing. I like that we feel different about some books. I liked Northanger Abbey. It is my favourite after Pride and Prejudice. Also like Persuasion very much. Not a big fan of Emma, another woman I could not stand. Although, I must admit she got better through the book, so I kind of accepted her in the end. I would like to read Sandition, the only one I have not read. I think she might not have finalised it. Loved the TV-series. I think all Jane Austen fans have their favourite.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Lisbeth. "Persuasion" is by far my favourite Austen novel but I couldn't come up with the second best etc. Just that "Northanger Abbey" is definitely last. Too gothic for my taste.

      Same as you, I quite liked the "Sandition" tv series and have read the novel before. There is not much to it, only around a hundred pages or so, most of what happens in the tv series has been either invented by someone else but is based on what Jane told her sister, I believe. Still, it's nice to read. Have you read "Lady Susan"?

      Delete