Thursday 13 January 2022

TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2022


One of my favourite Reading Challenges that I joined in 2016.

I don't think Evie from the Bookish Blog still carries this on, as I can't find it on her page but her words with which she started this challenge are still true: "We all have those books. We buy them, win them, they're gifted to us. Then we put them up on a bookshelf and there they stay, collecting dust, waiting for the time when we'll finally decide to pick them up."


After six years of participation, my TBR (To Be Read) pile is still a lot longer than it should because I just can't resist buying any new books and going to the library but I have tried to attempt reading more old books than buying new ones.


I could, of course, try to tackle the 50+ challenge but we all know that is not going to happen, instead, I tried to do at least 11-20 old books in addition to the new ones I'm buying and those I get from the library and wished to be pleasantly surprised at the end of the year. That happened, I have reached the 21-30 (First Kiss) and 31-40 (Sweet Summer Fling) in the last years, maybe I can get to 41-50 (Could This Be Love?) one day.

I have read
37 books in 2016,
32 in 2017,

38 in 2018
23 in 2019 and 
25 in 2020 
39 in 2021
of the books that had been waiting to be read for more than a year.
I hope I will manage more in 2022.

(I always add the German title in brackets for my German friends)

So far, I have already read these of my "old books" in 2022:
Van Dyke, Henry "The Story of the Other Wise Man" (Der vierte Weise) - 1896
Cather, Willa "Shadows on the Rock" (Schatten auf dem Fels) - 1931
Harari, Yuval Noah "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" (21 Lektionen für das 21. Jahrhundert) - 2018
Enquist, Anna "Mei" [May] (Mai) - 2007

Lodge, David "A Man of Parts" (Ein ganzer Mann) - 2011
Eichendorff, Joseph von "
Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts" (Life of a Good-For-Nothing) - 1826
Boschwitz, Ulrich Alexander "Der Reisende" (The Passenger/The Fugitive) - 1939
Chevalier, Tracy "The Last Runaway" (Die englische Freundin) - 2013
Némirovsky, Irène "La Proie" [The Prey/Das Beutetier] - 1938
Fallada, Hans "Every Man Dies Alone" (GE: Jeder stirbt für sich allein) - 1947
Keller, Gottfried "Novellas" (A Village Romeo and Juliet and others) (GE: Novellen - Romeo und Julia auf dem Dorfe u.a.) - 1855/56
Weiler, Jan  "Mein Leben als Mensch " [My Life as a Human] - 2009
Brontë, Charlotte  "Shirley"
(Shirley) - 1849
Mandelstam, Ossip "The Din of Time" (RUS: Шум времени/Shum vremeni/Das Rauschen der Zeit) - 1925
Le Faye, Deirdre "Jane Austen, The World of Her Novels" - 2002

Well, I didn't get rid of more than 15 books from my TBR pile this year. Note to self: Must to better in 2023.

15 comments:

  1. good luck!
    I'm doing a similar challenge, hosted for many years by Adam:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/01/03/2022-tbr-pile-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. Yes, I saw that post and commented on it. I just try not to do any other challenges than reducing my TBR pile and I think I can do that best when I go with the flow. Every time I finish one, I choose another older one from my shelf. Let's hope we both get through a few.

      Bonne chance!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I also try to read more books from my physical TBR shelves every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Space Station Mir. I hadn't seen your blog before and am glad to get to know you.

      I really try my best to reduce my TBR pile but the new books are always soooo tempting.

      Delete
  3. I'm trying to read more of my own books this year, too! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I think it is every reader's dream and nightmare to finish their TBR pile, don't you agree?

      Delete
    2. Such a good way to put it. We all want to finish our stacks, but we also fear running out of something good to read (which is why we keep adding books to the stack). :D

      Delete
    3. There is that push and pull between wanting to finish our pile of unread books, but also that deep-seated fear of running out of books to read. :)

      Delete
    4. I doubt I will ever get that far, Lark. LOL

      Delete
  4. Good luck. It is a hassle we all live with it seems. I rarely seem to go under 200 books, although I read around 50 books from my TBR a year. Most of my challenges are aiming at lowering the number. Who knows, this might be the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever got under 200 books, Lisbeth, even though I also read between 50 and a hundred every year. Well, that's life, I guess.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with it! I always tell myself I'm going to read more of the books I own instead of buying new ones, but...then I don't listen to myself. Ha ha. The struggle is real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Susan. I never listen to myself, either. Story of my life. LOL

      Delete
  6. Feel free to join up every week, you know I am always working on that darn TBR. It's not a challenge or anything, just a weekly set of statistics so I can at least TRY to hold myself accountable. I have been putting the linky only in the end-of-the-month post, but I could do it weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could do that, Sarah. I know you do that every week. I just add the books I read on this link but I could theoretically add it and let you and others know what is out there to be read. LOL

    ReplyDelete