Thursday 28 February 2019

2019 TBR Pile Reading Challenge


This is another highly interesting Reading Challenge I joined in 2016.

I don't think Evie from the Bookish Blog still carries this on, as I can't find it on her page but her words with which she started this challenge are still true: "We all have those books. We buy them, win them, they're gifted to us. Then we put them up on a bookshelf and there they stay, collecting dust, waiting for the time when we'll finally decide to pick them up."


After three years of participation, my TBR (To Be Read) pile is still a lot longer than it should because I just can't resist buying any new books and going to the library but I have tried to attempt reading more old books than buying new ones.


I could, of course, try to tackle the 50+ challenge but we all know that is not going to happen, instead, I tried to do at least 11-20 old books in addition to the new ones I'm buying and those I get from the library and wished to be pleasantly surprised at the end of the year. That happened, I have reached the 21-30 (First Kiss) and 31-40 (Sweet Summer Fling) in the last years, maybe I can get to 41-50 (Could This Be Love?) one day.

I have read
37 books in 2016,
32 in 2017, and

38 in 2018
of the books that had been waiting to be read for more than a year.

So far, I have already read these of my "old books" in 2019:

Dostoevsky, Fyodor "The Brothers Karamazov" (Братья Карамазовы/Brat'ya Karamazovy/Die Brüder Karamasow) - 1879-80
Weir, Andy "The Martian" (Der Marsianer) - 2011
Fielding, Henry "The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling" (Tom Jones: Die Geschichte eines Findelkindes) - 1749

Finkbeiner, Bernhard, Brekle, Hans-Jörg "Frag Mutti" [Ask Mum] - 2006
Fredriksson, Marianne "Eva" (Evas bok/The Book of Eve) (Paradisets barn/The Children of Paradise #1) - 1980
Sparks, Nicholas "The Notebook" (Wie ein einziger Tag) - 2004 

Achebe, Chinua "Things Fall Apart" (The African Trilogy #1/Okonkwo oder Das alte stürzt/Alles zerfällt) - 1958
Pamuk, Orhan "Das neue Leben" (Yeni Hayat/The New Life) - 1994

Eschbach, Andreas "Eine Billion Dollar" (One Trillion Dollars) - 2001
Noack, Barbara "Auf einmal sind sie keine Kinder mehr" [All of a sudden, they're not children anymore] - 1978
Trollope, Joanna "Next of Kin" (Die nächsten Verwandten) - 1996
James, Henry "Daisy Miller" (Daisy Miller) - 1879 

Alighieri, Dante "Die Göttliche Komödie" (The Divine Comedy/Divina Commedia) - 1308-20
Doyle, Roddy "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha" (Paddy Clarke ha ha ha) - 1993
Hirata, Andrea "Die Regenbogentruppe" (Lasykar Pelangi/The Rainbow Troops) - 2005
Hawthorne, Nathaniel "The Scarlet Letter" (Der scharlachrote Buchstabe) - 1850
Hüsch, Hanns Dieter "Frieda auf Erden" [Frieda/Peace on Earth] - 1959
Solzhenitsyn, Alexander (Солженицын, Александр Исаевич) "August 1914" ["The Red Wheel" cycle] (Узел I - «Август Четырнадцатого», Красное колесо) (Solschenizyn, Alexander; August Vierzehn, aus dem Zyklus "Das Rote Rad") - 1971
Kishon, Ephraim "Kein Öl, Moses?" [No Oil, Moses?] - 1974 

Erfmeyer, Klaus "Karrieresprung" [Career Leap/Career Jump] - 2006 
Wilding, Valerie "Top Ten Dickens Stories" - 2000

All in all 23 books that I eliminated from my ever growing pile.

2 comments:

  1. Great! Me too! Working on this and finding gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. The only excuse why I haven't read them earlier is that there are too many books on my TBR pile. I have enjoyed most of them. A lot.

      Delete