Saturday 10 December 2022

Spell the Month in Books ~ December 2022

 

Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

I only learned last month, that this is supposed to be published on the second Saturday of the month. I find that a good idea since I have another challenge on the first weekend, so I will try to adhere to that.

It's December, the time of Christmas and winter, so this is our topic this time:
December: Books about Christmas, winter, or general coziness

DECEMBER

D
Pasternak, Boris "Doctor Zhivago" (RUS: Доктор Живаго) - 1957
E
Austen, Jane "Emma- 1816
C
Dickens, Charles "A Christmas Carol- 1843
E
Cognetti, Paolo "The Eight Mountains" (I: Le otto montagne) - 2016
M
Høeg, Peter "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow" (DK: Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne) - 1992
B
Robinson, Barbara "The Best Christmas Pageant" - 1972
E
Guterson, David "East of the Mountains" - 1999
R
Rutherfurd, Edward "Russka. The Novel of Russia" - 1991

I don't think I read many books with a cozy feeling but these are all definitely wintery. Some of them make me think about Christmas (Emma, A Christmas Carol, The Best Christmas Pageant) others of winter (Doctor Zhivago, The Eight Mountains, Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow, East of the Mountains, Russka)

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

6 comments:

  1. I also participated this month! I love your selections. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is a classic :) https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/12/spell-month-in-books-december-2022.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I commented yesterday, proably after you but yes, it is a great book. My son performed in it at school, it was so great.

      Delete
  2. Ooh...three book titles that have to start with E. Tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Lark, and there were seven already this year. But I like that the books should follow a theme (which I had completely overlooked so far), makes it easier to just go with the letter rather than trying for one-word titles or anything else.

      Delete
  3. Don't we all remember the beautiful winter pictures from Dr. Zhivago? I have it on my shelves, so one day I will read it.

    Emma - I read it once, but could not stand her. It got better towards the end. Anyway, she is better than Fanny in Mansfield Park.

    "A Christmas Carol" - read it years ago, and recently saw the theatre adaptation from London on Theatre at the Cinema. A classic.

    Høeg, Peter "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow" - Loved the book, but for once I think the film was better and clearer. Of course I am a fan of Gabriel Byrne, so what is not to like.

    Rutherfurd, Edward "Russka. - Still on my shelves, but something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your remarks on every single book, Lisbeth, that is lovely.

      Yes, Dr. Zhivago, one of my favourite books, one of my favourite films. I even like the newer mini-series with Keira Knightly though I still think she is used too often in classic adaptations. Who is she? Lara Antipova? Anna Karenina? Elizabeth Bennet? But she is a good actress, so I can't blame them for casting her.

      Emma, yes, Jane Austen said, she was sure people would hate her. My least favourite by her is Northanger Abbey.

      A Christmas Carol. We can read it again and again and watch all of the adaptations again and again. Never saw it in the theatre. That would be great.

      Miss Smilla. I never watched the film but since I also love Gabriel Byrne, maybe I should.

      Russka. I love all of Edward Rutherfurd's books and the one about Russia and its history is certainly one of my favourites.

      Delete