Tuesday 29 August 2023

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Water

  

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is a Water (This can be covers with water on them, books with bodies of water in them, titles with bodies of water in them, etc.).

What a lovely idea. I don't think I've ever seen this subject. And I guess many of us have read books with water in the title or on the cover. For me, it's all books with the word "water" in the title.

It happens very rarely that I have just ten books that fit a certain subject. Not nine, not eleven, exactly ten.

Abulhawa, Susan "The Blue Between Sky and Water" - 2015
Adams, Richard "Watership Down" - 1972
Ansay, A. Manette "Blue Water" - 2006
Berry, Venise "Colored Sugar Water: A Spiritual Tale" - 2003 (not one of my favourites)
de Man, Herman "The Growing Water" (NL: Het wassende water) - 1925 (Goodreads, only in Dutch)
Fermor, Patrick Leigh "Between the Woods and the Water: On Foot to Constantinople from the Hook of Holland" - 1986
Gruen, Sara "Water for Elephants" - 2006 (also not one of my favourites)
Lamb, Wally "We are Water" - 2013
Shreve, Anita "The Weight of Water" - 1997
Turner, Nancy E. "The Water and the Blood" - 2001

Some of them have water as a topic, others just refer to it. But I always love books about the ocean.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

35 comments:

  1. I loved Watership Down!

    Lydia Schoch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia. And thanks for adding your name. It is an interesting read, probably even more today than back then.

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I need to try this one by Fermor.
    If you like books about the ocean, have you read Winchester's book on the Atlantic? It's really masterful: https://wordsandpeace.com/2011/05/11/atlantic/

    My TTT is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/08/29/top-ten-covers-or-titles-with-water/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I must admit, Fermor's book was not my favourite. His first one is supposed to be better.
      No, I have not read the Atlantic book but I have read his The Map that Changed the World. Must look out for the Atlantic one.
      Thanks for your link.

      Delete
  3. We Are Water sounds good.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    Astilbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Astilbe. It is a good one. And thanks for your link.

      Delete
  4. Watership Down was a fascinating read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Stephen. As I just said to Lydia ^^, it is probably even more important today than back then.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was a good one. And it looks like we are not the only ones.

      Delete
  6. Great list! Watership Down is a book that I've been wanting to read for a while since it's not one that I ended up reading in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great list!

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/book-covers-featuring-water-recent-reads/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam, a great subject, I thought. And thanks for your link.

      Delete
  8. Fun that you found so many books with water in the title with such great covers! I love the contrast between the Wally Lamb and the Herman de Man. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Lark. There is almost a century between the two, so no wonder. What a shame Het wassende water was not translated.

      Delete
  9. Water For Elephants my TTT this week as it has been a book on my reading wishlist for years. I just grabbed an audio version of it recently and hope to listen to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like it, Lisa. Most members in our book club loved it. Me, not so much.

      Delete
  10. Oooh! Love the twist on this week's topic! I'm amazed at how many books have "water" in the titles!

    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised, as well, Ronyell. I could think of a few right a way but didn't think I'd complete the ten.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for reminding me that I need to read Watership Down!

    -here's my list-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lectrice. And there are a few others who also said that. I love that about TTT, I also find something every week. Thanks for your link.

      Delete
  12. I read WATERSHIP DOWN in college. I should re-read it since I can't remember anything about it except that it has something to do with rabbits! LOL.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Susan, yes, it certainly has to do with rabbits. And it is a great message that some people still don't understand today, fifty years later.

      Delete
  13. I love a week when 10 books are so apparent! The only one I’ve read is Water for Elephants….it was ok. My husband loves Watership Down…I need to read it! ~Carol @ ReadingLadies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Yes, I've seen Water for Elephants on several lists this week, the only one from my list. It really wasn't my thing.
      Watership Down is completely different. Great writing and SO relevant for today.

      Delete
  14. I didn't have a lot of books with the word "water" in the title, which is why I went with water on the cover. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's also a great way to approach the subject, Cindy. I've seen that on some other lists, as well, and thoroughly enjoyed them.
      Thanks for coming by and also have a great week.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. You could have done your own TTT there, Eva. Water AND children's books, what a treat. I have not read any of them, I must say.

      Delete
    2. They are all good books. I like the one about Fallingwater. Jonathan almost went there on a field trip, but he was too late signing up. I would have loved to see it.

      Delete
    3. All the pictures are breathtaking.

      Delete