Saturday 2 September 2023

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Wifedom to Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

 

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Wifedom to Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with Wifedom. Mrs. Orwell's Invisible Life by Anna Funder (Goodreads).

I found the chain this time again by jumping from one word in the title to the next, the first one being Wife:

McLain, Paula "The Paris Wife" - 2012

Orwell, George "Down and Out in Paris and London" - 1933

Bryson, Bill
"Down Under/In a Sunburned Country" - 2002

Whitehead, Colson
"Underground Railroad" - 2016

Steinem, Gloria "My Life on the Road" - 2015

Jacobs, Harriet Ann (Linda Brent) "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" - 1861


📚📚📚

I think all the books connect to each other not just through the titles. While "Wifedom" is about George Orwell's wife, "The Paris Wife" is about Ernest Hemingway's, "Down and Out in Paris and London" doesn't just connect because it also takes place partly in Paris but it is by Georg Orwell. Now we have the largest jump to another book, "Down Under" just shares the word "Down" but it is about a different kind of life in Australia, from there we are going back in time to the slaves, "Underground Railroad". Some wives at the time were kept the same way. Gloria Steinem then tells us about "My Life on the Road" from where we go to the "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl". All unusual lives, very different from what we experience today in our Western societies.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats for making these connect both by key words and content!
    I have only read Orwell's book on Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to find a link between the first and the last but this time, they all worked out.
      This month, I can actually recommend all of the books. I think you would enjoy them, as well.

      Delete
  2. Well done! An interesting chain... I've read two, the Orwell and the Whitehead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I've read two of Colin Whitehead's book, both brilliant, the third is on my TBR list.

      Delete