Monday 4 September 2023

Spell the Month in Books ~ September

         
Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

September: Freebie Genre
I have done so many different freebies (see here) and always try to find some new ones. Lately, I read a few new travel books, so I have chosen this topic. Not all of them are my favourite travel books but they fit the letters.

SEPTEMBER
S
Fatland, Erika "Sovietistan: Travels in Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan" (NO: Sovjetistan. En reise gjennom Turkmenistan, Kasakhstan, Tadsjikistan, Kirgisistan og Usbekistan) - 2014
Erika Fatland visited the Central Asian "Stans" who became independent after the break-up of the Soviet Union. Great book.

E
Wood, Levison "Eastern Horizons. Hitchhiking the Silk Road" - 2017
Levison Wood travelled, at the age of 22, first through Russia, then through Georgia and Turkey into Iran, from there to Afghanistan, then Pakistan and finally into the country he wanted to reach all along: India. Brillant book.

P
Aaronovitch, David "Paddling to Jerusalem. An Aquatic Tour of Our Small Country" - 2000
A nice story about someone who gets up and does something completely different where many people think they are getting too old for this kind of stuff.

T
Newsham, Brad "Take me with you" - 2000
A travel book with a twist. An American travels around the world, 100 days backpacking. The twist? He invites one of the people he meets to visit him in America. Someone who could never travel anywhere.

E
Pye, Michael "The Edge of the World: How the North Sea Made Us Who We Are" - 2014
An exciting book. A look at how we became what we are. What has the North Sea done, how has it contributed to our history?

M
Kehlmann, Daniel "Measuring the World" (GE: Die Vermessung der Welt) - 2005
This is about two brilliant German scientists of the 18th century, the explorer and naturalist Alexander von Humboldt and the great mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss, the brains of the late 18th century.

B
Fatland, Erika "The Border: A Journey Around Russia Through North Korea, China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Norway, and the Northeast Passage" (NO: Grensen: En reise rundt Russland gjennom Nord-Korea, Kina, Mongolia, Kasakhstan, Aserbajdsjan, Georgia, Ukraina, Hviterussland, Litauen, Polen, Latvia, Estland, Finland og Norge samt Nordøstpassasjen) - 2017
Another book by this Norwegian author who took a trip all around the Russian border. She visited every single country. Just as great as "Sovietistan".

E
Arnim, Elizabeth von "The Enchanted April" - 1922
Four English women who hardly know each other go on vacation together. They rent a house and, of course, don't get along at all, because everyone has different ideas. (not one of my favourites)

R
Theroux, Paul "Riding the Iron Rooster" - 1988
I love travel books and this one doesn't make an exception. The author travelled through China in the 1980s, first with a travel group, then on his own.


Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

11 comments:

  1. I have 'The Edge of the World' which I've been meaning to read for *ages*.... Maybe soon... I hope...! [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally interesting, especially for those of us who live around the North Sea, so you and me, Kitten. I am sure you will like it.

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to it, especially after reading your comment about the Hanseatic League which has long interested me.

      Delete
    3. That is one of the reasons I think it might be the book for you. I am also very much interested in the Hanseatic League, it is our past and was a forerunner of the EU.

      Delete
  2. Another fun list. I really enjoyed Enchanted April. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I remember you telling me that. As I mentioned, it wasn't my favourite.

      Delete
  3. OMG, I could add all of these to my TBR, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Emma. Anyone who likes travel books just jumps at new travel books. LOL. I recommend especially the ones by Erika Fatland, you don't get many travel books by women, at least not to these countries.

      Delete
  4. What a great list of travel books! I've only the Von Armin, but have my eye on everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love travel books, Brona. If you want more, either go to my link above (I have done so many different freebies (see here)) Or check under my label "Travel".

      Delete