Wednesday 15 February 2023

Wood, Levison "Eastern Horizons"

Wood, Levison "Eastern Horizons. Hitchhiking the Silk Road" - 2017

I love stories about travels, I loves stories about the Middle and Far East, so this book sounded just like the right one for me.

And it was. Levison Wood tells us, how he travelled at the age of 22, first through Russia, then through Georgia and Turkey into Iran, from there to Afghanistan, then Pakistan and finally into the country he wanted to reach all along: India.

This was  a wonderful book for anyone who would love to do such a trip themselves but can't for whatever reason. As a woman, I doubt it would have been the same as it was for the author and the other men he met along the road. So, I am glad I can see it through his eyes.

I see that he has written more books like this, I should probably go and read them, as well.

From the back cover:

"Levison Wood was only 22 when he decided to hitch-hike from England to India through Russia, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan, but he wasn't the conventional follower of the hippy trail. A fascination with the deeds of the early explorers, a history degree in the bag, an army career already planned and a shoestring budget of £750 - including for the flight home - he was determined to find out more about the countries of the Caucasus and beyond - and meet the people who lived and worked there. Eastern Horizons is a true traveller's tale in the tradition of the best of the genre, populated by a cast of eccentric characters; from mujahideen fighters to the Russian mafia. Along the way he meets some people who showed great hospitality, while others would rather have murdered him... 

This book confirms that Levison Wood, Winner of the 2016 Edward Stanford Adventure Travel Book Of The Year Award, has indeed 'breathed new life into adventure travel ' (Michael Palin)"

18 comments:

  1. Excellent! I have a small stack of travel books that I keep meaning to get to - both classic and modern. It's about time some of them moved into my 'Read Next' pile.... Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kitten. I try to sneak in a travel book from time to time since I cannot travel as much as I would like to (well, most of us can't) and it's a great way to discover the world. I've seen this book on a few reading lists and thought it might be worth having a look. And it did.

      Delete
  2. I have such a love/hate with books like this and I can't figure out why. Probably jealousy on my part, mainly. It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, Sarah. I know I cannot travel as much as I used to and would love to do more long trips to faraway countries. But I know, even if I was healthy, I would not be able to experience a trip like this because I am not a man.
      And yes, I am also a little jealous but at least I can experience the other coutnries through the eyes of these fantastic travel authors.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, it would be quite a bit more dangerous as a woman attempting it. I would not do it alone, that's for sure. I am saving up for trips as Eleanor gets older, so I can take her to the UK and Ireland and see all my favorite cities.

      Delete
    3. Those are definitely better destinations for a woman, Sarah. I remember my trips to Turkey and Israel, with my blonde hair, people would see from far away that I was a foreigner. And in those countries, foreigner means money and people have to talk to you and try to sell you something. I sometimes wished I'd dyed my hair beforehand.

      Delete
    4. I would so love to go to Israel. But good call on dying your hair beforehand. I am not blond though, so maybe I wouldn't have to. But all that history in Israel...it is a constant beacon calling to me.

      With the UK and Ireland, those are places I have already been - except poor little Wales, who always gets forgotten. We will stop there as well. I want to show them to Eleanor, but I also want to experience new places with her. France will be our first place together, since that is mainly where we will find remnants of the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine.

      Delete
    5. Those are all wonderful destinations and I hope you get to see them all with Eleanor.

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of "Big Tiger and Christian" by Fritz Mühlenweg, which I read in German and loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe it, Eva, I never even heard of that book. Now I will have to investigate. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Oh, it used to be a very well-known book for young people, I guess teens. I read it when I was about 12 or 13, the German version, and later read it to my older children when they were about that age. I remember that I was fascinated by the book when I read it the first time!

      Delete
    3. Not during my age group, I think. I loved reading and would have had it from the library, I am sure, if it had been popular.

      Delete
    4. It was published in 1952 and my godfather gave it to me. I am not sure if I ever saw it in a library. He had read it as a boy and gave it to me because he loved it so much.

      Delete
    5. That's probably the reason I never heard of it.

      Delete
  4. Great review! It's been on my TBR for a while. Yes, I had no idea he had written so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, me either, Emma. And just like me, you must have seen this book on a few reading lists. I am sure you would love it.

      Delete
  5. Ah, the Silk road, just the name gives you positive vibes. Not so easy for women, but we can enjoy the ride through his book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly, Lisbeth. And yes, the name is just as magical as names like Samarkan or Isfahan or ....

      Delete