Friday 10 February 2023

Book Quotes of the Week

 

"There must be something in books, something we can’t imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don’t stay for nothing." Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

I don't think I'd stay in a burning house to save my books but I know what he means.

"When we read with children, we increase their vocabulary and imagination, and with a larger vocabulary, they become better at expressing themselves with their own words. It strengthens their ability to enter into communities that benefit them both now and in the future." HKH Crown Princess Mary Elizabeth of Denmark

Totally, the more you read with children, the better their vocabulary, the better they are in school, the more successful they are in life. Lots of studies show that and we only have to look around to see it for ourselves.

"We do not read in order to turn great works of fiction into simplistic replicas of our own realities, we read for the pure, sensual, and unadulterated pleasure of reading." Azar Nafisi

True. But we gain so much more from it.

Find more book quotes here.

16 comments:

  1. I love the Ray Bradbury quote. I'm with you - I wouldn't spend time saving my books in a fire, but I do understand being so into a book that the real world fades completely away. Been there many, many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. So do I. But I can follow his thoughts, so I knew it was a quote worth mentioning.

      Delete
  2. I so agree with that quote about the importance of reading to children! I wish more parents read to their children these days instead of just handing them their phones to entertain them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never understood that, Lark. When my kids were little, it was the tv instead of books and I see the importance of guiding them into the virtual world but why can't we use both? And those parents lose a lot, as well. Nothing better than reading with a child on your lap.

      Delete
    2. You're right...nothing is better than that.

      Delete
  3. Marianne, thanks for thinking of me. Am back now - mostly. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carole. I'm so happy to hear from you. Take your time.

      Delete
  4. I put a book in the hands of my son from a very young age (when he could actually hold something) and read to him continuously. I was hoping it would turn him into a reading person, but alas, it did not. But he did very well with his studies, so maybe it was good for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it helped a lot, Lisbeth. They need to read a lot for their studies, especially for the kind of studies our sons did, so it certainly was useful.

      Delete
  5. I am sure I have told this story before, but I was reading to Eleanor from the time she could hear my in utero. Every day and every night, more on the weekends, I read Where the Wold Things Are. After Mom and I brought her home from the hospital, Mom was holding her and I started reading it. Eleanor immediately turned her head in the direction of my voice and her eyes never left me the entire time I was reading. And just look at her now <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have, Sarah, at least I can't remember and I'm sure I would. How wonderful. I bet it was one of her favourite stories.

      Delete
  6. Love this one: "A book was a powerful thing. It could take her away from all her incessant worries for whole minutes at a time." Yes, very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true. I went through a really bad time and if it hadn't been for the books, I doubt I still would be around.

      Delete