Saturday 4 February 2023

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Trust to Book Love

 

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Trust to Book Love

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with Trust by Hernan Diaz (Goodreads)

As happens so often, I have not read our starter book. And I have not read a book with "trust" in the title or by someone with the name Hernan or Diaz (though I know people by either of those names).

But looking at the cover, I noticed the colours, black and white with a little red. So, I thought that might be an idea and looked for books that also have a cover like that. Now just make a chain out of it.

Reading the description of the book, this is all about the rich and famous, money and secrets.

The first book with that sort of content comes to mind:
Frisch, Max "The Arsonists" (GE: Biedermann und die Brandstifter) - 1958
Gottlieb Biedermann is a rich person who is upset that some arsonists are in town who start living in people's houses while intending to burn them down.

Arson gets me to the next crime: Murder
Buruma, Ian "Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance" (NL: Dood van en gezonde roker) - 2006
Not any murder. The murder of a director, a public figure. Why? He made a movie not everyone agreed with. He made a movie about the Muslim faith.

We can go from a murder of one person to that of many: War
Michaels, Anne "Fugitive Pieces" - 1996
Jakob Beer is seven years old when he is rescued from the muddy ruins of a buried village in Nazi-occupied Poland.

This leads me to a book about humanity in general:
Harari, Yuval Noah "Sapiens. A Brief History of Mankind" (Hebr.: Ḳizur Toldot Ha-Enoshut/קיצור תולדות האנושות) - 2014
A book that tries to explain how we became the beings we are today, what happened between the time the first humanoid forms appeared on this earth and today.

Going from all of humankind to just one kind human who wrote a memoir about her interesting life:
Perkins, Sue "Spectacles" - 2015
Little anecdotes about her school life, her family, just the things that could happen to any of us, made the book even funnier. One of the books that you don't want to read in public if you have a reputation to save.

And this leads us to our passion: Reading
Tung, Debbie "Book Love" - 2005
From time to time you need a book that makes you feel good about your passion, devotion, affection, dedication, or even frenzy.

📚📚📚

I think we can all agree that we trust in that comment, and that leads us back to the beginning.

12 comments:

  1. Well, I've read the Sue Perkins, but Fugitive Pieces sits on my shelf, unread. You encourage me to get it down and read it! Thec rest I don't know: but as ever, an interesting chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. We can't know all the books that are availalbe. But I always love to look at other people's list, even if I know I will not be able to read all those books that I find there.

      Delete
  2. I like how all your covers are the same or similar color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. The starter book more or less suggested it to me. I had to do it. LOL

      Delete
  3. The covers are so gorgeous together. I am intrigued by Murder in Amsterdam. Sapiens was not my favorite. I don't know why, but I just could not get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah, the starter book reminded me of some of the others, that's how I had the idea. I'm happy that you like it.
      Murder in Amsterdam is quite an interesting story, even if one didn't know the background before, I don't know how much the story made it into the press outside of the Netherlands, but I totally recommend the book.
      Sorry you didn't get into Sapiens. I have never been much into biology, so this taught me a lot.

      Delete
    2. I looked up some info on it after seeing this post and do not recall ever hearing about it here at all.

      Maybe because biology is not my fave, I could not get into Sapiens. But usually I love that kind fo stuff, so maybe it was the writing style.

      Delete
    3. Maybe. Also, Sapiens is a translation, he wrote the two follow-ups in English, as well.
      And yes, I agree, I don't like biology, either. That's why I like these kinds of books where the explain it so even idiots like me can understand. LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow, Marianne, this is fabulous! I love how you connected all these. I think I had said to you before that I need to try this meme when I have seen your posts, so even though I am a little late to the party, I did this meme! Here is my post if you'd like to stop by: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2023/02/6-degrees-of-separation-feb-2023-trust.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. It was an act of desparation. LOL
      Yes, you have said it before and I'm glad you tried it. Hope you had as much fun as I did.
      Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  5. OMG, great idea!
    I have only read your last one. Am still debating about reading Sapiens, some of my friends founded too shallow.
    Besides this one https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/02/07/book-review-agatha-christie-poirot-the-greatest-detective-in-the-world/, it would have been hard for me to do a chain with your brilliant idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. As I just said ^^, it was an act of desparation.
      I can imagine that Sapiens would be too shallow if you know a lot about the subject. But I'm a science dylexic, so it was a great one for me.
      And I am sure you would have found just as many red and white books with a little black as I did. There seem to be lots of them.

      Delete