Wednesday 22 February 2023

Perry, Matthew "Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing"

Perry, Matthew "Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing" - 2022

Do you like F.R.I.E.N.D.S.? If you do, your favourite character might be the same as the one of many: Chandler Bing.

I knew he had a problem with alcoholism. I wondered how he still managed to play such an upbeat character.

Matthew Perry opens up, he tells us everything about his life. While some might find this a little too much, I think this is a great book for those trying to understand this illness. Because that's what it is, an illness. I suffer from migraines and I've heard a lot of things about it, like just taking an aspirin, ignoring it, can't be that bad etc. Anyone suffering from a chronicle, invisible illness can tell you about that. But suffering from alcoholism or drug abuse is different, a lot of people blame them for what they are "doing", not feeling compassion for what is happening to them!

I think when reading Matthew's autobiography, you can understand how hard it is to battle such an illness and that comments like the ones above don't help but hinder.

   
This was a book my son gave me for Christmas. He knows how much I love F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Actually, my whole family does. Say anything and we can answer with a F.R.I.E.N.D.S. quote, we can actually have whole conversations with F.R.I.E.N.D.S. quotes. We have lots of gadgets with F.R.I.E.N.D.S. quotes, coasters, glasses, cups, plates etc. We once gave the boys cushion covers with the quote "The Cushions are the Essence of the Chair" and they both have them in their apartments. Would he have given it to me if he had read it himself beforehand and had known about all the details? I don't know but I hope he would have and I am glad he did.

There is a lot of Matthew in Chandler and a lot of Chandler in Matthew, as could be expected. Reading this memoir makes me love him even more. This is probably one of the saddest story I will read this year. So dark, so devastating.

The book is so honest, you feel the author talks to you personally as his very best friend whom he can rely on. I wish Matthew Perry all the best in the future.

From the back cover:

"The BELOVED STAR OF FRIENDS takes us behind the scenes of the hit sitcom and his struggles with addiction in this 'CANDID, DARKLY FUNNY...POIGNANT' memoir (The New York Times)

A MOST ANTICIPATED BOOK by Time, Associated Press, Goodreads, USA Today, and more!
'
Hi, my name is Matthew, although you may know me by another name. My friends call me Matty. And I should be dead.'

So begins the riveting story of acclaimed actor Matthew Perry, taking us along on his journey from childhood ambition to fame to addiction and recovery in the aftermath of a life-threatening health scare. Before the frequent hospital visits and stints in rehab, there was five-year-old Matthew, who traveled from Montreal to Los Angeles, shuffling between his separated parents; fourteen-year-old Matthew, who was a nationally ranked tennis star in Canada; twenty-four-year-old Matthew, who nabbed a coveted role as a lead cast member on the talked-about pilot then called
Friends Like Us. . . and so much more.

In an extraordinary story that only he could tell - and in the heartfelt, hilarious, and warmly familiar way only he could tell it - Matthew Perry lays bare the fractured family that raised him (and also left him to his own devices), the desire for recognition that drove him to fame, and the void inside him that could not be filled even by his greatest dreams coming true. But he also details the peace he’s found in sobriety and how he feels about the ubiquity of Friends, sharing stories about his castmates and other stars he met along the way. Frank, self-aware, and with his trademark humor, Perry vividly depicts his lifelong battle with addiction and what fueled it despite seemingly having it all.

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing is an unforgettable memoir that is both intimate and eye-opening - as well as a hand extended to anyone struggling with sobriety. Unflinchingly honest, moving, and uproariously funny, this is the book fans have been waiting for."

6 comments:

  1. Chandler and Phoebe were my two favorite characters on Friends. I'd like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be able to say which one was my second favourite, Lark. I think I loved them all about the same, depending on the show. However, Chandler was always my favourite.
      I read a review where someone was disappointed that the book was not much about the series but I didn't expect that, it was exactly what I thought it would be.

      I hope you get to read and enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I do agree with you that his story is so sad and heartbreaking. I related to a lot of his upbringing. But, even though he struggled I do think it's amazing that he was able to be a part of our beloved show, FRIENDS! While we noticed his weight loss and gain, it's amazing that despite the disease he was able to go to work each day, most people would not have bothered. Great review, Marianne, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. Yes, it is amazing how he got throught that. Most people I have come into contact with who suffer from addiction never amount to anything at all, they only struggle through every day. And yes, what would FRIENDS have been without Matthew as Chandler?

      Delete
  3. Thank you Marianne for comments about my review of this book too, its nice to know that you are too a Friends fan! I think your review was definitely more forgiving, I should have been but alas I was so disappointed by how little he talks about Friends in his book. I also found it incredibly depressing and so sad to read. Great review and I love that cushion cover!!
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kat. And thank you for coming back here.
      I understand your disappointment but I hadn't had the same expectations, so I really appreciated that he opened up about his problems. And yes, it is definitely sad. One of the funniest people one earth and he has to deal with so much.

      And yes, that cushion cover was highly appreciated by our sons. It was in that Corona year where both the boys couldn't come for Christmas and we had sent the presents. My oldest went right away to put it on a cushion and it still takes a prominent place in both their apartments.

      Delete