Monday 9 September 2024

Stedman, M L "The Light Between Oceans"

Stedman, M L "The Light Between Oceans" - 2012

I must say, I expected more from this novel. But I don't want to spoil it for anyone who still wants to read this. I really would welcome comments from those who have.

Spoiler:
As you can see from the book description, a couple who cannot have a child "finds" one and decides to keep it. Even when they know where it belongs, they don't tell the truth. An interesting topic. Is it correct to keep a baby if you think it might have been abandoned? Is it correct to keep it even if you know it isn't? I would say no in both cases. Someone who is not able to have children but would love to have them, might think different but I think about the mother whose baby is stolen. Yes, stolen. I would have killed anyone who would have done that to me.

An interesting subject but the writing has not enticed me to read anything else by this author. It was a little to "chick-litty" for me.

From the back cover:

"Tom Sherbourne, released from the horrors of the First World War, is now a lighthouse keeper, cocooned on a remote island with his young wife Izzy, who is content in everything but her failure to have a child.

One April morning, a boat washes ashore carrying a dead man - and a crying baby. Safe from the real world, Tom and Izzy break the rules and follow their hearts.

It is a decision with devastating consequences."

6 comments:

  1. I wondered as I read this one what would have happened if they had told the truth early on. Maybe they would have had a better ending. Because I didn't love the ending as it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly my thinking, Lark. I couldn't understand them, I didn't really want to understand them, being a mother myself. It would certainly have had a much better ending, had they told the truth from the beginning.

      Delete
  2. I tried to read this book a long time ago, but couldn't get into it. So, I gave up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you, Lisa. I hoped it would get better for the characters but it didn't.

      Delete
  3. I have read about this book and movie, but not read/seen any of them. It is an important question and I have the book on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The topic is interesting, Lisbeth, but I didn't enjoy the book much. I hope you will and look forward to your review.

      Delete