Thursday 12 September 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. September 2011 Part 2

 

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the second half of September 2011.


Ackroyd, Peter "Thames. Sacred River" - 2007
I love history and I love England. So, what's better than reading a book about a part of my favourite country that is so important to its history, geography, really anything that defines this wonderful country. 

Al Aswany, Alaa "The Yacoubian Building" (arab. Imarat Ya’qubian) - 2002
This book is described as "an ironic depiction of modern Egyptian society. I don't know how ironic it is but I thought it was a very interesting account of a life I know absolutely nothing about. 

Eggels, Elle "The House of the Seven Sisters" (NL: Het huis van de zeven zusters) - 1998
An interesting book about different kind of women who try to do their best, who try to live their life in a society that has a certain idea of how women should lead their lives.

Rowlatt, Bee & Witwit, May "Talking About Jane Austen in Baghdad. The True Story of an Unlikely Friendship" - 2010 
Two very different women form a friendship via e-mail, a young British journalist, mother of three little girls and a middle-aged Iraqi woman who is desperately trying to leave her country during the war.

Wilde, Oscar "A Woman of No Importance" - 1893
Oscar Wilde has a strangely hilarious sarcastic humour, one can only admire how he handles any kind of situation in that weirdly funny way. 

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

6 comments:

  1. Started 'Dorian Gray' today. I was already chuckling on page 11.... Not that its a comedy or anything! I've long been a fan of Wilde. It was about time I actually *read* him... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, Kitten. There is always some humour in his books. Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Ackroyd is one of those authors who always write a good book. I have read the Yacoubian building and liked it very much. Wilde is always good, I have to read more by him. I have a big book at home with all his writings, so there is no excuse. Talking about Jane Austen in Bagdad sounds like a must read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you know and liked so many of the books, Lisbeth. You are right, Ackroyd is fantastic. The Yacoubian building was sooo interesting. And true, Wilde is always good. I am sure you would love Talking about Jane Austen ... I think you would also like The House of the Seven Sisters.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you have, Sarah. He's a great writer of British history.

      Delete