Thursday 26 September 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. October 2011 Part 2

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the second part of October 2011.

Fox, Kate "Watching the English: the hidden rules of English behaviour" - 2004
An anthropology about a nation dear to my heart - the English. This book is quite funny at times and I am sure all the English people will love it and just nod their heads all the time - well, most of the others will do the same.

Kostova, Elizabeth "The Historian" - 2005
I'm not into fantasy and this is a little borderline but there is also quite some history involved, some travelling and the story itself is quite interesting.

Lessing, Gotthold Ephraim "
Nathan the Wise" (German: Nathan der Weise) - 1779
If you are looking for a non-English classic, this is one that has survived all changes of time and is as actual today as it was in the past. A masterpiece about philosophy, about Jews, Christians, Muslims.

McCourt, Frank "
Angela’s Ashes" - 1996
A wonderful autobiography, so vivid. And miserable. What a miserable life. You ask yourself how people can live like that. An alcoholic father, sick children, no job, no money, no food. But there is also hope.

Saint-Exupéry, Antoine "The Little Prince" (French: Le Petit Prince) - 1943
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
One of my favourite quotes ever. A wonderful novella about love and how we look at things.

Walls, Jeannette "The Glass Castle: A Memoir" - 2005
What would you do if your childhood was more than extraordinary, when you tried everything to escape it and finally manage to get out? Jeannette Walls tells us her story, the story of her parents, her siblings and herself.

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

4 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to read 'The Historian' which I picked up ages ago - probably around the publication date actually. Maybe *next* year, or the one after... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard you say that before, Kitten. LOL. In any case, enjoy!

      Delete
  2. The Little Prince is such a classic. And I really enjoyed reading The Historian. But then I'm a huge Dracula fan, so that's partly why. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are a few books you read and enjoyed, Lark. I hope you will try some of the others, as well. There are some good ones on the list.

      Delete