Monday 2 September 2024

Happy September!

Happy September to all my Friends and Readers
New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Franka Koebsch
"Kraniche und Rehe auf den Wiesen"
"Cranes and Deer in the Meadows"
Frank says to this picture:

"It is always exciting to be out and about with the cranes in the meadows and fields in autumn. With a little luck you can see deer and stags among the cranes, as they use the same meadows and fields in search of food."

"Es ist immer wieder spannend, im Herbst gemeinsam mit den Kranichen auf den Wiesen und Feldern unterwegs zu sein. Mit ein wenig Glück kann man Rehe und Hirsche unter den Kranichen beobachten, denn sie nutzen die gleichen Wiesen und Feldern auf der Suche nach Futter."

Read more on their website here. *

* * *

August was almost as bad as July, it only got a little cooler towards the end, though it was still far too hot for me. I am so looking forward to autumn, my favourite season.

* * * 

Have you ever tried to improve something but then it was worse in the end. Well, we have a word for that in German:
Verschlimmbessern
which you can translate more or less into "worsenbettering".
Of course, there is an official version for it, the Cobra Effect, also a "perverse incentive" which according to Wikipedia is "an incentive that has an unintended and undesirable result that is contrary to the intentions of its designers". 
 
 * * *


 * * *
 
Due to the weather, we didn't do much last month, but on the very last day, we managed go attend a kite festival. It was not too hot but also not too windy whcih was sad for some kite flyers because theirs wouldn't take off. But we managed to see a few lovely ones. Here is a small collage.
 * * *

The old German word for August is Scheiding, Holzmond or Herbstmond. 
Herbst is the German word for autumn which explains the origin of the name. Holz means wood and people started cutting wood for the winter. Scheiding is separation and September separates summer and autumn.
 
* * *

* You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about the two artists. 

* * *

🍂🍂 I wish you all a Happy September! 🍂🍂

10 comments:

  1. Happy September. I also look forward to a little bit of cooler weather. August has been terribly hot. The Kite festival looks great, they are so beautiful. Enjoy the harvest time and what it might bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, we agree, Lisbeth. I'm not surprised. Us Northerners are not used to this temperature.
      Yes, the kite festival was beautiful. It's always a matter of luck with these activities, of course, depends on the wheather. But we were lucky.
      Happy September.

      Delete
  2. Happy September! I love Fall because it means MY favorite season is coming - Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, I see, Sarah. Nope, my favourite season always was and probably alwys will be autumn. But we all have the right to choose the one we like best. Is your birthday in winter?

      Delete
    2. My birthday is in January but I love winter because I love wearing hoodies and sweatshirts. And I love snow days off from school. And building snowmen. And having snowball fights.

      Delete
    3. That proves the theory. I read recently that people prefer the season they were born in and I've heard it again and again now.

      Delete
  3. Such fun kites! I'm glad it's finally September; I keep hoping that means cooler weather is on the way. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Lark. We seem to have the same feeling there. I just talked to Sarah ^^ about the theory that we prefer the season we are born in. I am born in autumn and that's my favourite. What about you?

      Delete
  4. Happy September! We saw cranes by the side of a road a few weeks ago. And those kites are too cute :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. Happy September back. We don't see cranes very often here, just flying over us from North to South or vice versa.
      I love those kite festivals. So many enthusiastic people and you can see some great work.

      Delete