Thursday 5 September 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. September 2011 Part 1

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the first half of September 2011.

Betancourt, Íngrid "Even Silence has an End: My Six Years in the Jungle" (French: Même le silence a une fin) - 2010
This book is an account of French-Colombian politician  Íngrid Betancourt, who was abducted by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in 2002 and rescued by Colombian security forces in 2008. She spent six and a half years in the jungle as a prisoner of the FARC.

Dickens, Charles "A Christmas Carol" - 1843
I love this story. It teaches you how you can change to become a better person even if you have a bad start. It teaches you that it is okay to enjoy something from time to time even if you need to work hard for the rest of the year. And that you should always have compassion for the less fortunate.

Frank, Anne "The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition" (Dutch: Het Achterhuis) - 1942-44
What is there to say about a book that everybody has read? If you haven't read this book, you should. 

García Márquez, Gabriel "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (Spanish: Cien años de soledad) - 1967
A saga of a family, one of those fantastic South American magic realism novels. Seven generations are described in this tale, starting when the first member immigrates to Colombia, spanning almost a century of South American history during the colonial years. 

Levy, Andrew "A Brain Wider Than The Sky: A Migraine Diary" - 2009
As a heavy migraine sufferer, I am always curious as to what others have to say about their problems with this disease. Fellow sufferers usually recognize each other instantly.

Logue, Mark & Conradi, Peter "The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy" - 2010
Lionel Logue, King George VI speech therapist, was an outstanding person and his grandson Mark wrote a wonderful account about his life. 

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

11 comments:

  1. 'Christmas Carol' was my first Dickens read. Although I knew the story well from various movie versions I still really liked it.

    '100 Years' is, as you say, a *great* book. I need to read more Marquez. I have a few of his in a pile.

    I picked up a copy of Anne Frank's diary a while back. I'll see if I can schedule it in next year. It's about time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg you've never read it??? Even Eleanor had a copy by age 7! It's actually the book she selected one year from the library's summer reading program choices. She has not read it yet though, it's a bit heavy. But I think it will happen sometime in the next year, she's very interested in learning about the Holocaust.

      Delete
    2. I've probably had the book for 20 years.... I'll get around to it... Promise... [grin]

      Delete
    3. Mine, as well, Kitten. I think most of us start with that one. It's a great story but my favourite is David Copperfield.
      Marquez is definitely worth reading. And Anne Frank, as well. Everybody should read her diary. Maybe it would wake up some people.

      Delete
    4. My comment was to your original one, Kitten, sorry, something got messed up there.

      Delete
    5. Maybe read it before you start in on Roman Britain, lol

      Delete
    6. CK has a whole slew of books coming up that he knows I will probably want to read, so I'm always trying to convince him to throw in stuff I am not interested in or that I have already read.

      Delete
    7. Hahaha, that is a good idea, Sarah.

      Delete
  2. No amount of reading Anne's diary prepared me to stand in the Annex and cry.

    ReplyDelete