Thursday 18 May 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Sheila Stewart

 

Stewart, Sheila "Lifting the Latch" - 1987

I met Sheila Stewart on a talk she gave at our local W.I. She was very interesting and really friendly and I read both her books and they are both great. She had done research on the life of people in Oxfordshire and interviewed some of the last survivors or a life long gone.

This book doesn't just describe the life of a remarkable man who lived and worked about a century ago in Oxfordshire but also draws a great picture of how life was about a century ago.

Read my original review here.

Stewart, Sheila "Ramlin Rose" - 1993

This book tells the story of women whose story is never told, women who were born and raised on the narrowboats on the English canals and who then also had children and raised them there. Most of them had seen a school only from the outside, none of them could read or had a link to the outside world.

I found it especially interesting that the women had almost no concept of time because they couldn't read. We'll never know what we would be without books.

Two highly interesting accounts of unusal lives we hardly ever hear about.

Read my original review here.

4 comments:

  1. sounds very interesting. on my way to your review.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/05/11/throwback-thursday-february-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would like that life but I do enjoy reading about it. Have you read this one? https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/2021/05/the-narrowboat-summer-by-anne-youngson.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, Constance. My brother has a yacht and I was on there last year, not even that could convince me I am made for a life on such a small space.

    ReplyDelete