Thursday 4 May 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Night Train to Lisbon

 

Mercier, Pascal "Night Train to Lisbon" (German: Nachtzug nach Lissabon) - 2004 

A philosopical book about a Swiss Professor of ancient languages who happens to meet a Portuguese woman and finds a book in Portuguese, so he gives up his whole life and goes to Lisbon to find the author. Almost like an epistolary Victorian novel but also historical with information about the resistance during the dictatorship in Portugal (1933-74). A book about finding yourself.

A Czech proverb says: Learn a new language and get a new soul. (I love that proverb, very true.)

Definitely a great book by a great author.

Read my original review here.

6 comments:

  1. Quite brilliant. One of the best and most engaging books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitten. Definitely a fantastic book. That's why I read his other books and am looking forward to more of his writings.

      Delete
  2. I read this some years ago, and like it. I wanted to re-read it visiting Portugal recently, but I had obviously let it find a new owner. There is a film with Jeremy Irons in the lead, but I have not been able to find it to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while for me, as well, and I do want to read it again. It is one of the books that I would probably not give away. I would lend it to you, if you were willing to read it in German.
      And true, I heard they made it into a film. I am always very doubtful about books turned into films but I am also curious. I love Jeremy Irons (who wouldn't?), so it might be a good one! Thanks for that, Lisbeth.

      Delete