Monday 20 November 2023

Nonfiction November 2023 Week 4 Worldview Changes #NonficNov

 Week 4 (November 20-24) Worldview Shapers
with
Rebekah @ She Seeks Nonfiction

It's the fourth week of Non-Fiction November (see here). Our topic is "Worldview Shapers".

Here is the Official Schedule.

Week 4 (
November 20-24) Worldview Shapers: One of the greatest things about reading nonfiction is learning all kinds of things about our world which you never would have known without it. There’s the intriguing, the beautiful, the appalling, and the profound. What nonfiction book or books have impacted the way you see the world in a powerful way? Is there one book that made you rethink everything? Do you think there is a book that should be required reading for everyone? (Rebekah @ She Seeks Nonfiction)

We had this subject last year and I chose
Marx, Karl; Engels, Friedrich "The Communist Manifesto" (GE: Das kommunistische Manifest) - 1848 (see here)

What nonfiction book or books have impacted the way you see the world in a powerful way?
I read non-fiction books all the time in order to get to understand the world better.

Is there one book that made you rethink everything?
I wouldn't exactly say it made me rethink everything, but this year I was especially impressed by:
Keefe, Patrick Radden "Say Nothing. A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland" - 2018
The author describes both sides in the Irish Civil War (also called "The Troubles") and makes us understand why these conflicts going on everywhere in the world always take so long, often cannot be changed at all (see Israel/Palestine).

Do you think there is a book that should be required reading for everyone?

There are a lot of books that should be read by everyone. In general, it would be good if people read more non-fiction and got more information from real experts rather than from those individuals who just plaster their uninformed opinions all over the internet.

📚📚📚

For my lists on Nonfiction November check here.

16 comments:

  1. Nonfiction isn't necessarily any more factual than social media posts, but it does have to try harder to get out there! (You can find no shortage of books 'debunking' evolution, for instance, or arguing for the existence of ghosts or Roswell aliens, etc.) I just posted my response to the last two prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think you can easily find the non-fiction books that really are fiction. And if you read more than one book on a topic, you can find the difference quickly.
      I don't understand the last sentence. I only receive one response. Or do you mean this is valid for the last two posts I had on non-fiction?
      Thanks anyway for coming by, Stephen.

      Delete
  2. Good choice. I have had this one on my TBR since it was published, trying to get it for Irish Lit Month. Never comes in at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, Lisa. You should absolutely try to read this soon. It is such a great novel and so important for Irish history. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. This definitely looks like a challenging topic. How brave of you to tackle it! Thanks for sharing it, Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I like challenging topics. And this one is so close to us. We've lived in Britain, we have British friends, we have Irish friends, our son studied in Belfast. I just had to read it.

      Delete
  4. Great choice, this has been on my TBR for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, Shelleyrae. It's a great book about the subject with so much information.

      Delete
  5. Good choices. The problem with my nonfiction reading is that I mainly read history. Of course, one can definitely learn from history (although some say we don't), but I guess you have to read more present history, or other more present day subjects, to learn new things. I might have to enlarge my subjects on nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Lisbeth. History is important. And we can learn a lot from it. Present political situations show that we don't, unfortunately. Look around , when I see the results of elections everywhere (right now: Argentina, The Netherlands), I can only shudder . What is the world coming to?

      Delete
  6. I agree that people should read more nonfiction just so that they have a better understanding of the world, and of people and history. but no one seems to have time for that these days...they're too busy keeping up with all their social media accounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more the interest, Lark. Because they find the time for everything else. Of course, you can get information on the internet but in social media, there are too many idiots around who proclaim they have the only solution.

      Delete
  7. I read Say Nothing a few years ago as a book pairing with the fiction novel Milkman by Anna Burns. Fantastic books, they really opened my eyes to what's happened in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Care. I hadn't heard about Milkman, so will order it with my next book order. Sounds totally interesting. And yes, even this one really tells us a lot about the situation in Northern Ireland and how difficult it is to find a solution.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely want to read this one. I read God and the Gun years ago and I have always wanted to read more. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly. That also sounds like an interesting one. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of print and is only available at horrendous prices. But I have put it on my wishlist, I might find it somewhere one day.
      And this is definitely a great read for anyone interested in the topic.

      Delete