Tuesday 7 November 2023

Brooks, Geraldine "Caleb's Crossing" - 2011

Brooks, Geraldine "Caleb's Crossing" - 2011

In our local book club, we always bring a book we just read and loved and then decide which one the group will read. This time, I had brought "People of the Book" because it is my favourite book of the year. But someone else had brought this one and we thought it funny that we both had chosen the same author.

So, we decided to read "Caleb's Crossing". The story takes place at Martha's Vinyard and Harvard College. It tells about the life of the first Native American to graduate from Harvard College. Caleb Cheeshahteaumauk was born around 1646 and he learned English and Latin and all the other subject he needed to graduate.

The author explains that her book is based on the life of Caleb and that the stories about the Wampanoag and the island are true but that the rest is fiction. Still, we can very well believe how life must have been for a young English girl at the time. And there is also a lot of documentation about the life of the Native Americans to make the story plausible.

I love historical fiction and this is a wonderful example of how you can describe life in a past century through both real and fictional characters. This was only my fourth book by Geraldine Brooks, I need to read more.

The other readers also really liked the book and the author. We would like to read "Year of Wonders", her first book.

From the back cover:

"Bethia Mayfield is a restless and curious young woman growing up in Martha's vineyard in the 1660s amid a small band of pioneering English Puritans. At age twelve, she meets Caleb, the young son of a chieftain, and the two forge a secret bond that draws each into the alien world of the other. Bethia's father is a Calvinist minister who seeks to convert the native Wampanoag, and Caleb becomes a prize in the contest between old ways and new, eventually becoming the first Native American graduate of Harvard College. Inspired by a true story and narrated by the irresistible Bethia, Caleb’s Crossing brilliantly captures the triumphs and turmoil of two brave, openhearted spirits who risk everything in a search for knowledge at a time of superstition and ignorance."

8 comments:

  1. I also have read Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks and loved it! I've also read March, Year of Wonders, and People of the Book. I think People of the Book is my favorite novel by Geraldine Brooks so far. I have The Secret Chord in my 'tbr' pile and hope to read it eventually.... I have so many books in my personal collection to read. Yet, I keep adding more books to my ever growing collection. Here's a link to my review of Caleb's Crossing: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/09/calebs-crossing-by-geraldine-brooks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. As I have said, "Year of Wonders" is on my list. I can also recommend Foreign Correspondence which I also really liked.
      I think we all suffer from our ever growing TBR piles. But it's great to have all that choice.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great historical fiction. I have one book by her, but never read it, and nothing else. Time to change this status I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And non-fiction, as well. Would you mind telling us which book of hers you have, Lisbeth?

      Delete
    2. I have "Nine Parts of Desire, The Hidden World of Islamic Women". I bought while living in islamic countries, but never got around to read it. It should be interesting. I have to read it soon. Bloggers speak so well about her books.

      Delete
    3. Interesting. I never saw that one. Will have to investigate. Thanks, Lisbeth.

      Delete
  3. I've read and enjoyed several books by Brooks but not this one. My favorite is her newest, Horse. I agree she's a good choice for a book group because there are always a lot of elements to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really promising, Constance. Thanks. My favourite so far is "People of the Book".

    ReplyDelete