Thursday 9 November 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Nathaniel's Nutmeg

 

Milton, Giles "Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History" - 1999

It's #Throwback Thursday and it's #Non-fiction November. So, I think it's great that this book came up.

This is a historical non-fiction book that's written like a crime novel. We learned a lot about the history in the Pacific, colonialism, the history of the 17th century, how the British East Indian Company and the Dutch East Indian Company fought over parts on the other side of the world and how that affected even today's world, and how one guy and a small island can change the whole world forever.

Read my original review here

11 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this book, but I do think it has a very pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's that well know, Eva. But I agree, the cover is very pretty and the content is just as great.

      Delete
    2. The book has a different cover here in the U.S., not as pretty.

      Delete
    3. Yes, they always have to do that. I have no idea why. Same with titles. Often, the US title is different from the UK one. I once bought a second copy of a book I already read by mistake. Grrr.

      Delete
    4. Different tastes? Ha, ha, that is funny that you bought the same book twice.

      Delete
    5. Well, you think one of your favourite authors has written a new book and you happen to come upon it. Didn't happen to me lately because with the internet it's so much easier to find what the book was called originally.

      Delete
    6. I guess it could be misleading.

      Delete
    7. Quite misleading indeed. Thanks, Eva.

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting! I'm no fan of nonfictions really, but when it's written like a novel, I usually love it. And as an Indonesian, the subject of Dutch colonialism often piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be the book for you then, Fanda. The actions of this one man still have a lot of impact today.

      Delete