Tuesday 14 November 2023

Oates, Joyce Carol "Little Bird of Heaven"

Oates, Joyce Carol "Little Bird of Heaven" - 2009

A very dark story, one of JCO's darkest, I would say. Kids who grow up in disrupted families, a murder, coming to terms with that crime, it all goes so well with the author's writing. She manages to build suspense up until the last page and you can never tell where it is going to end.

In one of the descriptions, this book is compared with We Were the Mulvaneys and The Gravedigger's Daughter. There is some truth in that.

While this is probably not my favourite Oates novel, I was surprised that it was rated so low by so many. I don't understand that.

From the back cover:

"When Krista Diehl learns of her father Eddy's arrest on suspicion of the murder of her classmate Aaron's mother, she is stunned. But whatever he might have done - and whoever he was with when he wasn't helping her Daddy - Krista cannot give up her trust in her father, nor her love for him.

The police soon reveal another suspect - Aaron's father, wild Delray. But Aaron knows Krista's father is guilty. And Krista knows Delray is to blame. As the truth of the matter gets murkier, Krista is forced to confront her growing obsession with the brooding, troubled Aaron, an obsession that threatens to consume her and her life. Some loves are doomed from the start. But then again - perhaps some are fated.
"

6 comments:

  1. Oates does write some dark stories, but I like her writing. Haven't read this one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very dark indeed, Lark. But also very eye-opening often. I guess that's why some people don't like her. But I think she is absolutely great.

      Delete
  2. Your post makes me want to read Oates. I have only read one which I liked. Although I cannot remember the title. I think it was something with a babysitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmh, I doubt I have read that one, Lisbeth. Her latest book is called babysitter, it was published in 2022. Was it that one?

      Still, if you want a recommendation, here is a link to my favourite JCO novels..

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this novel by JCO.... But then again, I'm always impressed by the fact that she churns out high quality novels on pretty much an annual basis. I recently acquired the ebook edition of her novel, Daddy Love, which I hope to read next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's part of the reason that she hasn't received the Nobel Prize, yet. A lot of the judges can't believe that the novels are high quality if they don't need at least seven years for it.

      Delete