Monday 13 November 2023

Nonfiction November 2023 Week 3 Book Pairings #NonficNov

It's Non-Fiction November again (see here). For the third week, our topic is "Book Pairings".

Week 3 (November 13-17) Book Pairings: This week, pair up a nonfiction book with a fiction title. Maybe it’s a historical novel and the real history in a nonfiction version, or a memoir and a novel, or a fiction book you’ve read and you would like recommendations for background reading. You can be as creative as you like! (Liz @ Adventures in reading, running and working from home)

📚📚📚

This is a great topic that repeats every year. As it should because there are so many topics you can talk about. The last couple of years, the subjects I chose were Tulip Fever, Afghanistan and Slavery.

This year, I've decided it should be Feminism. Almost any book about women can relate to that subject. The one that led me to the subject here, that I read in 2023 is:
Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi "We Should All Be Feminists" - 2014
But there are some other books that I read last year that go with this topic:
Clinton, Hillary Rodham & Clinton, Chelsea "The Book of Gutsy Women: Favourite Stories of Courage and Resilience" - 2019
Ernaux, Annie "The Years" (FR: Les années) - 2008
Obama, Michelle "The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times" - 2022

I have tried to find some books about women in certain situations, in certain times where it is shown how unfair life could be for the female part of the population - and still is in many, many cases. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has written some good fiction, as well.
Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi "Americanah" - 2013
- "Half of a Yellow Sun" - 2006
Alsanea, Rajaa "Girls of Riyadh" (arab: بنات الرياض‎ Banāt al-Riyāḍ) - 2005
Brontë, Charlotte"Jane Eyre" - 1847 
- "Shirley" - 1849

Dangarembga, Tsitisi "Nervous Conditions" - 1988
Fredriksson, Marianne "Hanna's Daughters" (S: Anna, Hanna og Johanna) - 1994
See, Lisa "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" - 2005
Singer, Isaac Bashevis "Yentl, the Yeshiva Boy" (Yidd: נטל בחור ישיבה/Yenṭl der Yeshive-boḥer) - 1983
Undset, Sigrid "Kristin Lavransdatter" (NO: Kristin Lavransdatter) - 1920-22

So you see, there are women from many differnt areas of the world, contemporary and historical women. Unsurprisingly, most of those books are written by women. They are all worth reading. Start with the topic or area that interests you most.

📚📚📚

For my lists on Nonfiction November check here.

16 comments:

  1. Good points. I think it is wise to inform ourselves about topics by reading nonfiction but also we can then read fiction more intelligently.

    My Nonfiction November Week Three Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree there, Anne. I also got a lot of information through fiction. Mind you, nowadays it's so much easier to find out about the background of y book. My son once said, one of his friends asked why he always googled things and he answered "because I can".
      Thanks for your link.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking part and this is a great set of books. Your post reminds me of some of my "be the expert" ones which I don't think we've got this year - I did social justice one year, Iceland another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. No, we don't have the expert one this year but I don't miss it that much, I've done a few there. I'm glad you like the books.

      Delete
  3. You sure do cover a spectrum of places and times with this list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I could have mentioned more but I thought this was a good cross-section.

      Delete
  4. This is a fun topic! Whenever I read a historical novel about an event I'm not very familiar with, it almost always makes me want to read a non-fiction book about it so I can know which parts of the novel were true and which weren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Susan. I have learned so much from reading both.

      Delete
  5. Important books highlighting women and their lives. I find it interesting to read nonfiction books about authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Lisbeth. And I find it important to read about the situation of women all over the world.

      Delete
  6. Great idea to base your pairings around a theme.
    I tend to have the book pairings at the back of my mind all year and along the way, possible pairings jump out at me (at which point I make a note for November).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea, Kate. I do that with most of my challenges. And the last years, I have done a theme. Might do just pairings in general again next year, who knows.
      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  7. Great selections, the subject is not dissimilar to mine.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, Shelleyrae. It's such an important subject.
      And thanks for letting me know, I'll come and see which books you mentioned.

      Delete