Monday 27 November 2023

Nonfiction November 2023 Week 5 New to My TBR #NonficNov

Week 5 (November 27 - December 12) New To My TBR
with
Lisa @ Hopewell’s Public Library of Life

It's the fifth week of Non-Fiction November (see here). Our topic is "New to My TBR".

Here is the Official Schedule.

Week 5 (November 27 - December 12) New To My TBR: It’s been a month full of amazing nonfiction books! Which ones have made it onto your TBR? Be sure to link back to the original blogger who posted about that book! (Lisa @ Hopewell’s Public Library of Life)

I have not added any books that I found this month through the posts because I just was not well enough to go through that. But I have added a few new (to me) non-fiction books lately, some in German, some in English.

 

Clinton, Hillary Rodham "It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us" - 1996
Garfield, Simon "To the Letter: A Curious History of Correspondence – A Celebration of the Lost Art of Letter Writing" - 2013
(Goodreads)
Gauck, Joachim "Toleranz: einfach schwer" [Tolerance: simply difficult] - 2019
(Goodreads)
Specht, Heike "Ihre Seite der Geschichte - Deutschland und seine First Ladies von 1949 bis heute" [Her Side of the Story - Germany and its First Ladies from 1949 to Today] - 2019 (Goodreads)
Uusma, Bea "The Expedition: a Love Story: Solving the Mystery of a Polar Tragedy"
(Swedish: Expeditionen: min kärlekshistoria) - 2013 (Goodreads)
Wickert, Ulrich "Frankreich. Die wunderbare Illusion" [France. The Wonderful Illusion] - 1989
(Goodreads)

Quite a variety of topics there. I'm looking forward to reading them all.

📚📚📚

For my lists on Nonfiction November check here.

21 comments:

  1. One of the books I picked up a few weeks ago I'm looking forward to reading soon (though probably at some point next year!) is 'Love and Let Die - Bond, The Beatles and the British Psyche' by John Higgs. It sounds like its going to be LOTS of fun, especially its through the lens of two of my favourite things - Beatles/pop music & James Bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting, Kitten. I liked the Bonds up until Timothy Dalton, the newer ones are too action-orientated to my liking.
      Enjoy.

      Delete
    2. To me Sean Connery *is* Bond, although I did like the Daniel Craig version too. A bit like Tom Baker being Dr Who... [grin]

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. It's ups and downs, I just take it as it comes.

      Delete
  3. I'm intriuged by the book on letter-writing! I recently wrote one myself, on a whim -- sent off a piece of fanmail to a favorite author who lists his PO box on his website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice idea. I saw something the other day that said if we like an author, we should tell them. I have been writing letters all my life, so I might do that soon.

      Delete
  4. Oh, not good to be not feeling well. Sending loves and hugs to you! I have not read any of the books you listed, but I think the Gauck book must be very interesting! And guess what, today a beautiful Swedish postcard arrived! Thanks so much! Charlotte thought you picked wonderful pictures on the card. We will be so busy the next weeks. December is never a time for reflection here, but that is because it is the end of the semester and we have Nutcracker performances all over the county and the neighboring county. Kind of crazy! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. It's what it is, I take the days that I am well and enjoy them and forget about the rest. Just don't get much done then.
      Joachim Gauck came to our district a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately, we were in Sweden just then. But a few from my book club went and were really impressed.
      I always try to pick postcards that I would like to receive myself, mostly with something that impressed me at the place. I'm glad you liked it.
      I think December is a crazy month for everyone. We just want to prepare for the perfect Christmas whereas it is always just perfect because of the loved ones we see.
      Have a good time.

      Delete
  5. I need to look for To the Letter: A Curious History of Correspondence, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure it will be a good one, Deb. I have read On the Map. Why the World Looks the Way it Does by the same author and it was great. Enjoy. And thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Good stuff here! I especially like the sound of To The Letter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. As I mentioned to Deb ^^, I have read On the Map. Why the World Looks the Way it Does by the same author and it was great.

      Delete
  7. Interesting TBR additions, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Shelleyrae. I hope some people will find something interesting. Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  8. I have read The Expedition which is a fantastic story. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, thanks, Lisbeth. It's our January book in the international book club, a suggestion by a Finnish member. I've been looking forward to it already but now I'm twice that excited.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you haven't been well. Hope some good reading can at least be a consolation. Do you know the books "Letters of Note"? They reproduce actual letters, many from famous people, and I found them absolutely addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lory. It's a constant up and down, I'm just getting old.
      No, I never heard of that book and will definitely look for it. Thank you for that recommendation.

      Delete
  10. I love this. It's a good compilation of non-fiction. I'll have to check this out later, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, C&B, I'm glad you like the list.

      Delete