Thursday 27 August 2020

Wodehouse, P.G. "The Code of the Woosters"

Wodehouse, P.G. "The Code of the Woosters" (Jeeves #7) - 1938

After reading my very first book by this brilliant author ("Right Ho, Jeeves"), I watched all the Fry and Laurie episodes and enjoyed them tremendously. Now it was time for another one and I found "The Code of the Woosters" in a bookshop.

The book has most of the favourite characters in it, Jeeves and Wooster, of course, Aunt Dahlia, Gussie Fink-Nottle, Madeline Bassett and her father, Roderick Spode and a few others. I only missed Bertie's dear friend Tuppy Glossop but I know he'll show up in one of the next books again.

As usual, Wooster jumps from one puddle into the other or finds himself in one pickle after the next and his "gentleman's gentleman" Jeeves has to pull him out again. Just hilarious.

P.G. Wodehouse at his best.

From the back cover:

"Aunt Dahlia has tasked Bertie with purloining an antique cow creamer from Totleigh Towers. In order to do so, Jeeves hatches a scheme whereby Bertie must charm the droopy and altogether unappealing Madeline and face the wrath of would-be dictator Roderick Spode. Though the prospect fills him with dread, when duty calls, Bertie will answer, for Aunt Dahlia will not be denied.

In a plot that swiftly becomes rife with mishaps, it is Jeeves who must extract his master from trouble.
"

2 comments:

  1. My 15 yr old has been whizzing through these books and has a good laugh over them. Fortunately, he was a very prolific writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. He has also written other series that are applauded a lot. Maybe when I'm done with all the Jeeves & Wooster.

      I can imagine that a 15 year old would enjoy these. Unfortunately, I didn't know these when my kids were that age.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete