Tuesday 15 September 2020

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Covers without pictures


"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

Today we have a Cover Freebie (choose your own topic, centered on book covers or cover art)
I chose:

Covers without pictures
 

I like simple covers that don't give away much, covers that are not too elaborate, too pink, too … well, just too much of everything. I definitely don't like covers that have been changed after a book has been made into a film. I try to avoid them like the pest.

So, my choice today is covers without pictures, just the plain writing. As you can see, they are pretty beautiful, as well.

Angelou, Maya "Mom & Me & Mom" - 2013
Boyne, John "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" - 2006
Lessing, Doris "The Golden Notebook" - 1962
McCarthy, Cormac "The Road" - 2006
Nafisi, Azar "Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books" - 2003
Northup, Solomon "Twelve Years a Slave. Narrative of Solomon Northup, a citizen of New-York, kidnapped in Washington city in 1841, and rescued in 1853, from a cotton plantation near the Red River in Louisiana" - 1853
Saramago, José "Blindness" (Portuguese: O Ensaio sobre a Cegueira) - 1995
Smiley, Jane "13 Ways of Looking at the Novel" - 2005
Smith, Zadie "White Teeth" - 1999
Stroyar, J.N. "The Children’s War" - 2001

28 comments:

  1. Excellent idea for a list. Isn't it perfect to see Blindness with nothing on the cover but a title?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover. Probably my favourite among those that I found for this topic.

      Thank you so much for your visit. Always lovely to read your comments.

      Delete
  2. Yes, there's definitely something to be said for simple covers.

    My post .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think if a cover is too colourful, it distracts from the story. Or gives too much away.

      Thanks for your visit. Will hop over to your page now.

      Delete
  3. My favorite covers without pictures are from Emma Mills' first 3 books. They have such pretty designs and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, very pretty. I didn't take those kind of covers because they are too colourful already. LOL

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  4. Blindness has such a great cover.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just said that above, probably my favourite of the covers. Mind you, the book is great, too.

      Thanks fo ryour visit and your link. I'll go over to your page now.

      Delete
  5. Oooo I like your take on this! And I agree, Blindness is striking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gabby. It always takes me a while with those freebie topics but once I had a cover in mind, I found lots. Blindness seems to be one of the favourites for all.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love this. There are some amazing cover designers out there who can tell an entire story without ever using a picture. That cover for Twelve Years a Slave is particularly great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. That's why I chose this topic, I don't like covers that are too elaborate. And it looks like many other readers agree.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  7. Oooh! It's rare to find books that don't have pictures on their covers! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I thought I had a lot more but in the end, I didn't have to cut as many as with some other topics.

      Thanks for your visit and for leaving your link. See you on your page.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, this is a nice, unique twist on the topic. I need a "Book With Words Only on the Cover" for a reading challenge, so I'm glad you did this list. Very helpful.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic. Looking forward to your list then. It was lovely to look for them.

      Thanks for your visit. Always great to talk with you.

      Delete
  9. I never thought about it. I will have to check my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know. I bet you have more than you think.

      Delete
  10. I think this post makes a very good point — fonts can make for some fantastic covers. Jane Smiley’s book for instance, my eyes went straight to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so happy about all the positive feedback here, didn't know so many more people loved the same kind of covers.

      You're right, Jane Smiley's book is also very eye-catching. And a great book for lovers of lists. ;)

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  11. I love this topic! I can't think of any off the top of my head that would fit this, but I'm definitely going to have to check my shelves for it.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you love it. I'm sure if you look at your shelves (or maybe your blog as I did?), you will find quite a few and wonder why you didn't think of them right away. Happened to me.

      Anyway, thanks for your visit and for leaving the link to your TTT. Will see you there.

      Delete
  12. What a great pick, I think a cover which a striking font can be just as effective as a fancier one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. And, as I've mentioned a couple of times now, it does neither distract you from the story nor give away something. I still like my blurb to tell me more than "fantastic book says the Times." ;)

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  13. I love covers that are just text too. They really stand out in bookstores.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, they do indeed. And you see the title immediately without having to look for it in between many colours.

      Thanks for your visit and your link. See you on your page.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I think it definitely wins the prize for best cover of Marianne's TTT.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete