Wednesday 22 June 2011

Brontë, Emily "Wuthering Heights"


Brontë, Emily "Wuthering Heights" - 1847

"Wuthering Heights".  I love classic books. I love English classic books. I love English classic books from the 19th century. I love the Brontë sisters.

I just don't like this novel. I'm sorry. I would love to like it and I am sure there are novels from that era that I have liked because they were so much like the books I like. I just can't with this one.

Where do I start? I love the moors. I grew up in a moorish country. So, that can't be it. The story between Catherine and Heathcliff is interesting, at least at the beginning.

I'm just not into ghost stories. Not that I'm afraid of ghosts, you can't be afraid of something that you don't believe in. So, sorry Ms. Brontë but you were off to a good start, had a nice plot going there and then you "blew" it.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but that's just how I feel.

I read "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë, and "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Brontë, some wonderful creations. Just didn't like this one.

From the back cover:
"Lockwood, the new tenant of Thrushcross Grange, situated on the bleak Yorkshire moors, is forced to seek shelter one night at Wuthering Heights, the home of his landlord. There he discovers the history of the tempestuous events that took place years before; of the intense relationship between the gypsy foundling Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw; and how Catherine, forced to choose between passionate, tortured Heathcliff and gentle, well-bred Edgar Linton, surrendered to the expectations of her class. As Heathcliff's bitterness and vengeance at his betrayal is visited upon the next generation, their innocent heirs must struggle to escape the legacy of the past.

Emily Brontë's only novel, a work of tremendous and far-reaching influence, the Penguin Classics edition of
Wuthering Heights is the definitive edition of the text, edited with an introduction by Pauline Nestor. In this edition, a new preface by Lucasta Miller, author of The Brontë Myth, looks at the ways in which the novel has been interpreted, from Charlotte Brontë onwards. This complements Pauline Nestor's introduction, which discusses changing critical receptions of the novel, as well as Emily Brontë's influences and background.

Emily Brontë (1818-48), along with her sisters, Charlotte and Anne, was one of the most significant literary figures of the 19th century. She wrote just one strikingly innovative novel, Wuthering Heights, but was also a gifted and intense poet."

7 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you. I love the Bronte sisters, too. One of my favorite books is
    "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte. But I found the characters in "Wuthering Heights" just plain unlikable. They didn't make me want to care for them. They were mean and petty. I also found it confusing when the offspring had the same names or took on the last names as first names. And how about Heathcliff, was that his first or last name? And later there's another Heathcliff, Linton Heathcliff to be exact. Ironically, I DID like the writing style. I could pick out handfuls of quotes I like. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad someone else agrees with me. Everyone is always raving about "Wuthering Heights" and if you ask them, they can't really explain why.

    I think the fashion with the names was not unusual at the time. Well, even when I was young, a lot of kids had their father's or mother's name, especially the eldest boy in a family.

    I always get confused with middle names, is it a middle name or is it a double last name. LOL

    Besides "Jane Eyre", have you read any other Brontë novels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. I wanted to sample each sister's writing. I liked that one. So sad that all the Brontes died young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was my reason, too, and I chose "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" which is probably my favourite Brontë novel.
    If you are interested in the sisters' lives, I would highly recommend "Becoming Jane Eyre" by Sheila Kohler, a great account not just of Charlotte but also of Emily, Anne and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to reread this one. I had the same reaction as you. I want to like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should do that, as well, I might even like it. Meh, not so sure. Still, I'll put it on my list of books to be re-read! Thank you.

      Have a great weekend,
      Marianne

      Delete
    2. Hi Jillian,

      I have no idea whether you will get a notificiation about this or not but I just wanted to let you know that I can't get your blog anymore.

      The information I receive is that you either discontinued it or made it private. Whatever it is, I always enjoyed your writings and hope to hear from you again.

      Happy New Year,
      Marianne

      Delete