Tuesday 28 June 2011

Tolkien, J.R.R. "The Hobbit"


Tolkien, J.R.R. "The Hobbit" - 1937

I tried to read "The Hobbit" ages ago because so many people said I should read it. Not my thing. I'm not into fantasy which is weird because I loved fairy tales, still do. Might have been Tolkien and his Hobbits who messed it up but I doubt it. I think his writing isn't too bad but I'd rather read about real people with real life problems.

Needless to say, after this, I never even attempted "The Lord of the Rings".

From the back cover:
"Whisked away from his comfortable, unambitious life in his hobbit-hole in Bag End by Gandalf the wizard and a company of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins finds himself caught up in a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Although quite reluctant to take part in this quest, Bilbo surprises even himself by his resourcefulness and his skill as a burglar! Written for J.R.R. Tolkien's own children, The Hobbit met with instant success when published in 1937."

No comments:

Post a Comment