Tuesday 8 December 2020

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Seasonal Books ~ Winter


"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

Holiday/Seasonal Freebie
(holiday books/covers/titles, wintry reads, snow on cover, cool color covers, etc. 
 
Winter will only start next week but I quite like the topic. And I have a few lovely books that I read representing this. Winter, Snow, Cold. (Mind you, I didn’t care much for the last one but some people do, so I included it anyway.)
 
Calvino, Italo "If on a Winter’s Night a Traveller" (Italian: Se una notte d’inverno un viaggiatore) - 1979
Follett, Ken "Winter of the World" - 2012 (part of a trilogy)
Hannah, Kristin "Winter Garden" - 2010
Stachniak, Eva "The Winter Palace. A Novel of Catherine the Great" - 2011
Guterson, David "Snow Falling on Cedars" - 1994
Hamill, Pete "Snow in August" - 1998
Høeg, Peter "Miss Smilla’s Feeling for Snow" (Danish: Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne) - 1992
Pamuk, Orhan "Snow" (Turkish: Kar) - 2002
Frazier, Charles "Cold Mountain" - 1997
Gibbons, Stella "Cold Comfort Farm" - 1932

16 comments:

  1. I really should read Winter of the World sometime.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that means you have read Fall of Giants already, Lydia? Then you definitely should start reading it. And if not, you have a great trilogy to look forward to.

      Thanks for your visit and leaving your link. I'll hop over soon.

      Delete
  2. I have read many of these! I like to read about cold and snow in summer. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you have read many of them. And, heehee, I totally understand the feeling, I don't like summer much. Mind you, not all the books listed are really about snow, winter or cold, but they can remind you of it.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  3. Winter Garden is one of my favorite Hannah books. I'm so happy to see it on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree, Deanna. Although, I have read two books by Kristin Hannah and she's not exactly my favourite. But it's a good book to guide you into the history of the Leningrad siege.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I already mentioned above ^^ that it's not exactly my cup of tea but it's a good book and well written.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  5. Lovely winter covers! I've read and enjoyed a couple of these. I still haven't read anything by Ken Follett. 2021 just might be the year I finally get around to giving him a try. We'll see.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Ken Follett is a great writer and I can recommend any of his books. Well, any of his historical novel ones. He also writes crime stories and since I don't read much of them, I can't say anything to those books. However, he is such a great writer that I'm sure they are also great. He has many fans for those novels, as well.

      Enjoy his books.

      Delete
  6. I love wintry themed books. These look like a nice assortment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and comment, Greg. There must be something for every reader here. Long stories, short stories, difficult and easy reads, different kind of countries and times.

      Delete
  7. I really adore that cover for Cold Comfort Farm ... and this also reminds me that I really need to get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christopher. Yes, it's a great cover. Unfortunately, for me, the book didn't hold what the cover promised. It was said to be funny and I couldn't laugh even once. The story didn't grip me at all. Maybe if you read it one day and explain it, I might "get" it. ;-)

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  8. Snow Falling on Cedars made my list too. It’s a perfect winter book. It even has “snow” in the title.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And lots of it in the book itself. I haven't read any new books by David Guterson lately, probably time to go searching for one.

      Thanks for your vist and your comment.

      Delete