Thursday 24 November 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. "Anna Karenina" and "War and Peace"

 

Tolstoy, Leo (Толстой, Лев Николаевич) "Anna Karenina" (Russian: Анна Каренина = Anna Karenina) - 1877

I love classics, especially Russian ones. These are wonderful stories.

A story about love and deceipt, the morale of the 19th century, this novel describes the history of three Russian families of nobility, their joys and problems.

We discussed this in our international book club in  August 2005.

Read my original review here.

Tolstoy, Leo (Толстой, Лев Николаевич) "War and Peace" (Russian: Война и мир = Woina i mir) - 1868/69

Tolstoy has a brilliant way of describing not just single people but a whole generation of people, in this case both civilians and military. It's not just the story itself, his musings about the historical background, philosophy, religion, are all very worth reading.

Read my original review here.

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading Anna Karenina in particular. I enjoyed War and Peace way more than I expected but Anna Karenina still remains my favourite Tolstoy.
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sabine. I'm not a hundred percent sure which one is my favourite, I love them both.
      Thanks for coming by. I don't know whether you will get this answer but I'll catch you on Insta.

      Delete
  2. I haven't dared tackle this one yet. Anna's story just sounds so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredibly sad, Lark. But it is a wonderful story. Tolstoy is one of my favourite Russian authors and there are so many to choose from.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I will ever get to read War and Peace. I watch the latest TV-series based on the novel and it was great. However, my theme for December is Russian authors and I will read The Idiot by Dostoyevsky and finally read Anna Karenina. I have an older, beautiful book with some drawings so it should be a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand why people wouldn't want to read it, Lisbeth. It just is SO long. But the story is so great, I hope you will get to it one day. I haven't read "The Idiot", yet, must put that on my wishlist, so thanks.

      Delete