Friday 21 January 2011

Sachar, Louis "Holes"

Sachar, Louis "Holes" - 1998 

Both my boys read this book and really enjoyed it. It also was a huge hit on our school book sales.

Anyway, even though both my boys had read it, I never did so myself. Somehow it always seemed like a book for little boys. So, I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't that at all. (We even have the DVD and I never watched that either!)

I can recommend this book to anyone. It's a quick read, yet very interesting and there is a lot in this.

There is also a follow-up: "Small Steps".

From the back cover:

"Stanley Yelnats' family has a history of bad luck going back generations, so he is not too surprised when a miscarriage of justice sends him to Camp Green Lake Juvenile Detention Centre. Nor is he very surprised when he is told that his daily labour at the camp is to dig a hole, five foot wide by five foot deep, and report anything that he finds in that hole. The warden claims that it is character building, but this is a lie and Stanley must dig up the truth. In this wonderfully inventive, compelling novel that is both serious and funny, Louis Sachar has created a masterpiece that will leave all readers amazed and delighted by the author's narrative flair and brilliantly handled plot."

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2022.

2 comments:

  1. Now, I am very intrigued by this!! Could be a nice quick summer read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a quick read for any grown-up, Emma. But very deserving. Enjoy.

      Delete