Wednesday 2 February 2011

Austen, Jane "Pride & Prejudice"


Austen, Jane "Pride & Prejudice" - 1813

One of the greatest love stories ever written. One of the best known. My favourite author.

Where do I start? Everyone knows Mr. Darcy, at least since 1995 when Colin Firth took a bath in a pond.

I loved everything in this novel. I think the biggest secret of Jane Austen's writing is that there are no secrets. She writes about real life - her life and that of her family and friends. And they are so real that we seem to know people like that even today. The mother, who wants the best for her daughters, the father who thinks if he provides food for the table he is taking care of his family, the silly kids who just want their fun, the sensible ones, who look a little further, the rich spoiled ones and the poor deprived ones, they all seem to be people we know. The proud ones and the prejudiced ones. They are as alive today as they were 200 years ago.

I have reviewed "Pride & Prejudice" a second time as a member of The Motherhood and Jane Austen Book Club. Find that review here and a list of all my "motherhood" reviews here.

From the back cover: "'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.'
So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues.
"

I read a lot of novels by or about Jane Austen. Find a link to all my reviews here.

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment