Friday 1 May 2020

Happy May!

Happy May to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch


"Frühling an der Ahrenshooper Mühle"
"Spring at the Mill in Ahrenshoop"



Corona keeps us from going to many places, so it's a good thing we have the internet. And art. Isn't this a beautiful windmill? Since I grew up in Northern Germany, there were always a couple of windmills in the area and I love them as much as I love lighthouses, my two favourite buildings. Therefore, I'm happy that I can see this windmill for the rest of the month.

April was a slow month but we had lovely weather so we could go and explore the area. I even found a bookshelf that I didn't know of before where you can bring the books you no longer want and find some new ones if you like.

* * *

I have started to incorporate animals and towns of the year in my monthly greetings. This month, I was going to talk about the European Capitals of Culture 2020 this time: Galway, Rijeka. While I've been to the first one, Galway in North-western Ireland (beautiful town), I have never even been to Croatia (Rijeka). I doubt I would have visited those countries this year but it's always nice to dream. Out of the 40 designated cities I have only visited 14 so far but I do love visiting places for their culture.

Galway is known as Ireland's Cultural Heart. It already hosts the Tulca Festival of Visual Arts and several other festivals. Rijeka as the "Port of Diversity" had planned more than 600 events.

Of course, they all had to cancel most of their plans. So, go and visit their websites (links under the names of the towns above). They do show you a lot about their cities, another way to travel there. There is also a European website about the culture capitals in general here.


* * *
 

While we all would like life to get back to normal as quickly as possible, nature doesn't seem to have that same desire. The air and many rivers are a lot cleaner; animals return to places where they haven't been seen for a long time (like dolphins in the Marmara Sea). So, maybe it's not so bad that we can't travel. Mind you, I wouldn't mind having to go shopping under the present conditions. You wait until there is space in front of a shelf and as soon as you're there picking your groceries someone else comes along and almost touches you. I try to shop as seldom as possible and I know that's not good for the economy but it's better for my health.

* * *

Have a happy May with this beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch. Stay safe!

* * *

You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here

You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about them.

4 comments:

  1. Happy May to you! I have visited Galway too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you have. Isn't it just beautiful?

      Have a great month.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I try to add more to my blog than just the books I read. Glad you like it.

      Delete