Tuesday 12 May 2020

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Books I Abandoned


"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

The Last Ten Books I Abandoned 

I hardly ever abandon a book. That's probably because I have a wide range of books I like and don't really touch those I'm not interested in (chick lit, fantasy, science fiction …).

So, I've decided to list the books I would not have finished (probably never even started), if they hadn't been a book club read. I disliked most of them from the beginning but persisted because I always want to be ready for our next discussion. Have I learned anything from those books? Probably not, just that I wouldn't read those authors again. And that is also the main reason I didn't like them. There was nothing to draw from, no education and also no pleasure.

If you compare this list to the one of the books we read, there are really very few that I didn't like.

I still found 11 books but couldn't really exclude one from that list.

Berg, Elizabeth "Open House" - 2000
Fuller, Alexandra "Don’t Let’s Go To The Dogs Tonight" - 2002
Gruen, Sara "Water for Elephants" - 2006
Ishiguro, Kazuo "When We Were Orphans" - 2000
Kladstrup, Donald & Petie "Wine and War" - 2001
Krasnow, Iris "The Surrendering to Motherhood: Losing Your Mind, Finding Your Soul" - 1997
McEwan, Ian "Atonement" - 2001
Niffenegger, Audrey "The Time Traveler’s Wife" - 2003
Pearson, Allison "I Don’t Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother" (Working Mum) - 2002
Picoult, Jodi "My Sister’s Keeper" - 2004
Wisner, Franz "How the World Makes Love: And What It Taught a Jilted Groom" - 2009

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you know what does and doesn't work for you!

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting older and having read for more than half a century helps. ;)

      Happy Reading. Just went to see your TTT.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife, but was never interested in anything by Picoult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some people love the books I don't like but I know many also dislike what I love, classics, for example.

      Still, I'm glad we can agree on one of the authors. ;)

      Btw - when we discussed "The Time Traveler's Wife", there were only two of us who hated the book, everyone loved it.

      Thanks for your visit and your comment.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating to me always, the various reactions readers have to books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the main reason why I participate in this. Always lovelyt to see what others like and what not. And getting new ideas from those who like the same stuff - like you.

      Thanks for always being there for me.

      Delete
  4. It's important to know what you like and what you don't. Sounds like you're pretty in tune with yourself! Personally, I enjoy Picoult. I wasn't wild about WATER FOR ELEPHANTS or OPEN HOUSE. I read THE TIME TRAVELLER'S WIFE a long time ago, before I started blogging, and I honestly can't remember what I thought of it!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Lydia ^^ getting older and having read for more than half a century helps. I have read plenty of rubbish in my life in order to know what books not to touch. LOL

      Thanks for your comment, lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. I read The Time Traveler's Wife. I don't get what people loved so much about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, people also love fantasy and science fiction, I'm not keen on either of them because I like things to be logical. My husband refuses to watch those kind of films with me - which is a good thing because I don't enjoy them anyway - because I always spoil the stories. LOL

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  6. I loved Atonement and The Time Travellers Wife - I'm sorry they didn't work out for you!
    My TTT is here https://bookloverssanctuary.com/2020/05/12/top-ten-tuesday-the-last-ten-books-i-abandoned/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people will like those books. As I mentioned, they are all book club books and most of the other readers liked them, as well. It's not a way of judging others who like them, just for them to get to know me better when I say, that wasn't my thing.

      Thanks for your visit and your comment. Will head over to your page "The Book Lovers' Sanctuary".

      Delete
  7. I also also have a book by Picoult on my list this week. I didn't finish McEwan's "Atonement" because life got in the way, but I might try again. I attempted reading Gruen's "Water for Elephants", but I couldn't get into it. Great list, as usual!

    Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I noticed it before, we seem to have a similar taste, at least in what we don't like. LOL I have a very good friend who loves the books I hate and vice-versa but we get on really well anyway.

      Weird, I thought I'd visited your TTT but it seems I didn't leave a comment. Will do so now. Thanks for your visit.

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  8. I hate it when I feel forced to read/finish a book I am not enjoying. I generally only do that for book club reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. That's why I changed this week's topic a little. And this were all book club reads that I probably wouldn't have chosen, except for "When we were orphans" which sounded interesting when someone suggested it. Still, not my thing.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  9. Having a good sense of what books you'll like indeed tends to help us not having to DNF too much. And when it does happen, DNF'ing is a good thing - too many books, too little time to spend on reading one that's not our thing. Though I do understand that for book club reads, you'd power through anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a lot in my lifetime and getting older definitely helps knowing what you might like and what not.
      I liked your idea of going through your TBR pile and then throwing books out that you know you wouldn't like anyway. I did that last year when packing up my books for the move and then again when unpacking. But I have a feeling I could do it again now.

      Thanks for your visit. Say hi to Belgium. ♥

      Delete