Sunday, 1 May 2011

Ishiguro, Kazuo “When We Were Orphans”

Ishiguro, Kazuo “When We Were Orphans” - 2000

A famous British detective goes on a quest to find why his parents disappeared mysteriously in Shanghai when he was still young.

I read this book with my book club and didn't like it at all. I don't normally like crime stories but this was just a weird trial of writing one, too confused and confusing.  If it hadn't been a book club read, I wouldn't have finished and I vowed never to read an Ishiguro again. Some of my friends mentioned that this was not his best book, I should try “Remains of the Day” but as long as I have a huge TBR (To Be Read) Pile, I don't think I'll try this any time soon.

From the back cover: "England, 1930s. Christopher Banks has become the country's most celebrated detective, his cases the talk of London society. Yet one unsolved crime has always haunted him: the mysterious disappearance of his parents, in old Shanghai, when he was a small boy. Moving between London and Shanghai of the inter-war years, 'When We Were Orphans' is a remarkable story of memory, intrigue and the need to return."

Kazuo Ishiguro was shortlisted for the Booker Prize ” in 2000.

We discussed this in our book club in May 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment