Tuesday 13 October 2020

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Super Long Book Titles


"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

Super Long Book Titles

An interesting subject this week. It was nice to dig through the titles of the books I read. I found a few that are even longer than these but they are all in German and not translated. So, here we go. The list is in order of longest to shortest title.

 
58 letters
Jonasson, Jonas "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" (Swedish: Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann) - 2009

44 letters
Smiley, Jane "The All-true Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton" - 1998
Gavalda, Anna "I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere" (French: Je voudrais quelqu’un m’attende quelque part) - 1999
 
41 letters
Haddon, Mark "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - 2003
Dallaire, Roméo "They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers" - 2010

38 letters
Xu, Ruiyan "The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai" - 2010
Schmitt, Éric-Emmanuel "Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran" (French: Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran) - 1999

37 letters
Shaffer, Mary Ann & Barrows, Annie "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society" - 2008

Can you find longer titles in your lists? I'm sure there must be some. Even though I doubt anyone of us would have read this one:
The longest title of a book according to the Guinness Book of Records consists of 26,021 characters, and was achieved by Vityala Yethindra (India) in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, on 20 March 2019. It starts with "The historical development of the Heart i.e. from its formation from ... Solutions and answers of above questions, material and topics are included and cleared in this book.". (Find the whole title here.)

22 comments:

  1. The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared sounds like a good story!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting one, that's for sure. An old man who doesn't want to be restricted to the kind of life we often impose on old people. And it's humorous, as well.

      Thanks for visiting and leaving your link. I've seen it yesterday but just noticed, the link doesn't work. For anyone on my page who might be interested, here it is.

      Delete
  2. I'd really like to read The Guernsey...Society. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the few titles I saw on almost everyone's list and it sure is a great book to read.

      Thanks for your visit and for the link. I'm looking forward to your list.

      Delete
  3. "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society" made it to my TTT list as well. I've read that novel twice.

    Here's a link to my TTT post: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2020/10/top-ten-tuesday-books-ive-read-with.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that on quite a few lists, probably the winner of the most read book with a long title. Looking forward to your list.

      Thanks for stepping by.

      Delete
  4. Great list! These titles definitely catch the attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the intention. ;)

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Great list! I've heard brilliant things about The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above ^^ already, it's about an old man who doesn't want to be restricted to the kind of life we often impose on old people. Interesting and humorous at the same time. I hope you can read it one day.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  6. I didn't even think about counting letters! Good idea. The only one I've read on here is GUERNSEY.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wanted to make sure I really find the longest ones from my list.

      I believe the Guernsey one was the one most listed in the TTTs, I've seen it a lot.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  7. Great list! I also have the Curious Incident book on my list!
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after the Guernsey books, the Curious Incident one is the second most popular among the long titles. But they are both great books, so no surprise there.

      Thanks for visiting and leaving your list. See you on your page.

      Delete
  8. I love how you included the letter counts. That is very cool! I wish I would have done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen many different ways of displaying the books on the various lists and sometimes thought the same. LOL. I guess we can all have ideas for the next time something like that comes up. I just had so many and wanted to find the longest ones I've read. And I used "Word Count" in Word. So no big deal.

      Thanks for your visit and your comment. Always nice to hear from you.

      Delete
  9. What a thorough job you did this week. It's easy to see which titles are the longest after you have figured up the total number of letters in each! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love lists and it's not too difficult to find books for the various challenges. It's something I really enjoy. And yes, once you have your long titles together, it's easy to figure out the letters and see which one is longest. But nice to be appreciated anyway.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  10. 'Guernsey' is an ideal fit for this week's topic. I wish I'd remembered to include it especially since it's a great read, too. :) Thanks for the Finding Wonderland visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it is a great book. Probably my favourite among those on the list. The one by Jane Smiley is also fantastic, I think you might enjoy that.

      Thanks for visiting me back.

      Delete
  11. I never thought of counting the numbers of letters. Great job!

    I had Guernsey on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Deanna ^^, we all have different ideas and can use some of the others for the next time a similar challenge comes up.

      I think the Guernsey book is the one that turned up on most pages. It is such a great story, so I'm not surprised.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete