Friday 23 October 2020

Book Quotes of the Week

"A great book helps the reader see the world in a way they haven't before, or it helps the reader articulate thoughts and emotions they already have but not yet put into the right words." Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
What can I say to this quote? Every reader has experienced that.

"The more you read, the less you sound foolish when you speak." Amit Kalantri
That's for sure. I once read that reading about one subject for several years is as good as a semester at university. Can't find the quote. Maybe it's not correct but reading certainly can teach us a lot.

"The first thing I learned at school was that some people are idiots; the second thing I learned was that some are even worse. " Orhan Pamuk, Istanbul: Memories and the City
And if they haven't learned it in school, they learn it in a pandemic. Or not. ☹

"A story must have some points of contact with the reader to make him feel at home in it. Only then can he accept wonders." John Steinbeck
I'm not exactly sure whether that's true. I love reading about people at different times or in completely different areas than myself, But maybe those stories that touch me still have something that talks to my life. 

Find more book quotes here.

4 comments:

  1. My Big Fat Reading Project has served as several college courses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't doubt that at all. I bet most of us could attend any literary classes and other students and the teachers might only notice that we are a "tad" older than them. LOL

      Delete
  2. I really like that quote by John Steinbeck: "A story must have some points of contact with the reader to make him feel at home in it. Only then can he accept wonders."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it spoke to you. It also spoke to me but probably not in the same way. And that's why I love posting quotes, there's so much to talk about and there is always one for everybody.

      Delete