Friday 9 October 2020

Book Quotes of the Week

"Books, books, books had found the secret of a garret-room piled high with cases in my father's name; piled high, packed large - where, creeping in and out among the giant fossils of my past, like some small nimble mouse between the ribs of a mastodon, I nibbled here and there at this or that box, pulling through the gap, in heats of terror, haste, victorious joy, the first book first. And how I felt it beat under my pillow, in the morning's dark. An hour before the sun would let me read! My books!" Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Oh, what a joy. My parents loved reading but didn't have enough money to have such a large library. On the other hand, I didn't have to wait until the sun came up, we have electricity. 😉

"When I was your age, television was called books." William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Definitely. And I think we were the richer for it.

"Reader’s Bill of Rights:
1. The right to not read
2. The right to skip pages
3. The right to not finish
4. The right to reread
5. The right to read anything
6. The right to escapism
7. The right to read anywhere
8. The right to browse
9. The right to read out loud
10. The right to not defend your tastes."
Daniel Pennac
So many rights. Aren't we lucky?

Find more book quotes here.

2 comments:

  1. I am a proponent of The Reader's Bill of Rights. In fact, that is what I love about being a book reading person. The rights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the great thing is, we can make up even more rights while reading. ;)

      Delete