Saturday 6 March 2021

Six Degrees of Separation ~ Phosphorescence

Phosphorescence

Baird, Julia "Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark"

#6Degrees of Separation: from Phosphorescene (Goodreads) to Against Hate.

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month’s prompt
starts with Phosphorescence by Julia Baird.

I haven't read this book or anything else by the author. So, I had to go with the description of the book. It's a sort of self-help/memoir book.

I'm not much into self-help books but the word "memoir" triggered a book by a woman I greatly admire. Michelle Obama is a woman who managed to get from nowhere to a highly professional position. Through her marriage to wonderful man, she became first lady of the USA but her own achievements are just as great.

Obama, Michelle "Becoming" - 2018

So, I can't think about Michelle Obama without thinking about her husband, Barack Obama, the 44th president of the United States. Even though I have read two of his books ("Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance" and "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream") I have chosen a book that gathers his speeches because they are just fantastic. I am also looking forward to his newest book, "A Promised Land".

Dionne jr. E.J.; Reid, Joy-Ann "We are the Change We Seek" - 2017

Of course, speaking a bout Barack Obama, I have to think about his VP who has become the newest president of the United States. I admire him just as much. He has been through a lot and it has only made him stronger. He is a hope for the whole world.

Biden, Joe "Promise Me, Dad. A year of hope, hardship, and purpose" - 2017

And this brings me to his chosen Vice President, a wonderful woman who is strong, smart and overall a great choice for this post. I only read her book recently but it might be the best one I read this year.

Harris, Kamala "The Truths We Hold. An American Journey" - 2019

Speaking of a strong woman, another American lady comes to mind who has also achieved a lot and done much for her country. I have also read her recent one ("What Happened") but have chosen her biography because it links more to the other books in this chain.

Clinton, Hillary Rodham "Living History" - 2003

Talking about American politics, I have to think about a strong German woman, a journalist who received the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade. She wrote a brilliant anti-war book ("Echoes of Violence: Letters from a War Reporter") but this book here fits better. I think anyone should read that before making any kind of political comments, especially if it means putting down the opposite side.

Emcke, Carolin "Against Hate" (German: Gegen den Hass) - 2016

Yes, quite a political chain there but I felt these books went best with this month's challenge. I hope many of you will read at least one of those books because they are all brilliant. Happy Reading!

I'm looking forward to seeing what others came up with. 

Look for further monthly separation posts here.

4 comments:

  1. A grand chain, as they would say in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew if anyone wold like this, it would be you. I bet you've read most of the books I mentioned.

      Delete
  2. Nice chain. I have heard a lot of good things from the first at least

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes it is fantastic. But so are all the others. Unless you're a Republican, I guess.

      The writers are all great and they can "bring over" their points so well. I really enjoyed this meme.

      Delete