Tuesday 23 March 2021

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Funny Book Titles

 

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week's topic is: Funny Book Titles

When I hear funny titles, I also think funny books. I know the books on this list don't necessarily have to be funny but most of them are. 

There's Bill Bryson who invents British place names that are even funnier than the original ones (which are the funniest in the world). Michael Chabon tries to imagine how the state of Israel would have functioned in Alaska. Philip K. Dick lets androids dream, of electric sheep of all things.

Nora Ephron muses about life of women. If you like "When Harry met Sally", you should read Nora Ephron. Jonas Jonasson invented the funniest hundred-year-old.

Alexander McCall Smith's stories about Mma Ramotswe's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency are all hilarious but I love the title where he alludes to the "traditionally built" protagonist best. Marisha Pessl's story about a teenager called Blue is not really a funny one but the title of her book is. Calamity Physics, I think we would all love to study that. Saša Stanišić's book about how the soldier repairs the gramophone also isn't funny but the idea that soldiers repair anything differently to a civilian is. That leaves us just with Rebecca Wells who invented the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, a title that's definitely funny.

Bryson, Bill "The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island" - 2015

Chabon, Michael "The Yiddish Policemen’s Union" - 2007

Dick, Philip K. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" - 1968

Ephron, Nora "I Feel Bad About My Neck And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman" - 2006

Ephron, Nora "I Remember Nothing. And other reflections" - 2010

Jonasson, Jonas "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" (Swedish: Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann) - 2009

McCall Smith, Alexander "Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" - 2009

Pessl, Marisha "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" - 2006

Stanišić, Saša "How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone" (German: Wie der Soldat das Grammofon repariert) - 2006

Wells, Rebecca "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" - 1996

20 comments:

  1. Great titles that made me look twice. And worthy reads, too, especially Alexander McCall Smith's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourites are the ones by Nora Ephron and Bill Bryson, of course, but they are all books I enjoyed.

      Thanks for looking at them and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Bill Bryson has written so many funny books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has indeed, Lydia. Even his more informative books, like the science ones. He can't hide the fact that he has such a great sense of humour.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. I bet you have read a few of them, as well.

      As always, thanks for your visit and your friendship.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsey. Yes, she's brilliant. Left us far too soon.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I'm curious about a couple of these now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Stephen. They are all very interesting books that I can highly recommend.

      Have fun looking for the ones you would enjoy most. And thanks for stepping by.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. I've seen some funnier ones in the lists of other bloggers but I'm not usually the reader of funny novels, so my choice was a little limited. Glad you still enjoy them.

      And thanks, as always, for your visit.

      Delete
  7. I love British place names. :) Ya-Ya Sisterhood is great too.

    I remember thinking No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency was such an awesome title too when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Greg. Their place names are hilarious. And yes, I could have just taken the No. 1 ... title but I thought the traditionally built one was even funnier.

      Ya-Ya Sisterhood, even though the subject is not funny, it is quite a funny novel to read.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronyell. It was fun chosing them.

      Thanks for your visit and your link, I'll see what you came up with.

      Delete
  9. How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone sounds absolutely fascinating. Adding it to my TBR pile now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. It's not the easiest of the funniest read but it is very well worth it.

      Delete
  10. I skipped this one because I literally could not think of any funny titles. My brain just couldn't handle this topic and I couldn't think of any fun twists this time. Oh well! Glad you had a good time with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. At first, I thought I wouldn't find any, either, but once I started, I did find some.

      And not every topic is the same. I have sometimes done something completely different from the ones suggested. I'm sure next week will be better for you.

      Have a good Sunday.

      Delete