Thursday 22 April 2021

Dickens, Charles "The Old Curiosity Shop"

Dickens, Charles "The Old Curiosity Shop" - 1840

When I mentioned to another blogger that I was just reading this book, he said that it "… was not one of my favorite Dickens, but that's a high bar, I still enjoyed it." Now that I just finished it, I can say that he put my thoughts into words. It's definitely not my favourite, that's still David Copperfield, but I have yet to read a book by Charles Dickens I don't enjoy.

The enjoyment of reading wasn't improved by the copy I had, an A4 sized cheap reprint (letter size in the US). Well, it couldn't be helped. It taught me to look for the size of an edition when ordering books online.

Funnily enough, this is supposed to be the most popular of Dickens' books during his lifetime. As it says on the cover, readers in New York even stormed the ship bringing the final instalment. Reminds me of Harry Potter today. Wow! This that not all tales stand the test of time equally well.

However, as with all books by Dickens, he observed his surrounding so well and could describe it so you are transformed to his world that it is definitely worth reading. Especially if you like classics. And chunky books.

I still have a few to go and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on them.

From the back cover:

"The Old Curiosity Shop is a novel by Charles Dickens. The plot follows the life of Nell Trent and her grandfather, both residents of The Old Curiosity Shop in London. The Old Curiosity Shop was one of two novels (the other being Barnaby Rudge) which Dickens published along with short stories in his weekly serial Master Humphrey's Clock, which lasted from 1840 to 1841. It was so popular that New York readers stormed the wharf when the ship bearing the final instalment arrived in 1841. The Old Curiosity Shop was printed in book form in 1841."

10 comments:

  1. David Copperfield is one of my favorites, too. I also love A Tale of Two Cities. I haven't read this one yet, but hopefully I'll squeeze it in at some point. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. As I said, I have yet to find a book by Charles Dickens that I don't like but we can have favourites, right? I also liked "Tale of Two Cities".

      Anyway, enjoy any further stories by him. I'm sure you will.

      Delete
  2. It's shameful, but the only Dickens book I've actually read is A CHRISTMAS CAROL. I have read it multiple times, though. Does that count??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmh ... let me think ... nope. LOL. Well, I love Dickens but not everyone has the same taste, so maybe he's not your usual kind of author. For many, his books are too large, others don't really like classics. If you ever want to read another one, try "David Copperfield", many people think it's his best novel, including me.

      In any case, you should read something you enjoy. So, no pressure. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried this one yet, thanks for presenting it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Emma. I know you like classics, so I'm sure you'll get to it at some point.

      Happy Reading.

      Delete
  4. I have given up on Dickens. I find his books too long and lingering on and on about things that might not be so important for the story. It is of course due to the initial way it was publicised in weekly or monthly instalments. I am thinking though of read 'A Tale of Two Cities', it might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Dickens might not be your thing, Lisbeth. We have so many other intetests in common, there must be something we disagree one. However, I can imagine that you would like "A Tale of Two Cities", it's slightly different from his other stories. On the other hand, there are so many great authors around, why wast your time with someone you're not too keen on. Whatever you decide, I'm sure I'll see it one day.

      Thanks for your comment, seeing why someone else dislikes someone I do like often gives us more insight.

      Delete
  5. I'll triple echo that comment - this wasn't my favourite but I've enjoyed everything I've read by Dickens. My favourites are probably Bleak House & Hard Times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree, Carol. But as I said to Lisbeth ^^, we all have different tastes. I'm sure someone also disagrees and says this is his best story ever. I quite liked "Bleak House" and "Hard Times" as well. I hope to have read all of his books one day.

      Until then, happy reading.

      Delete