Friday 1 October 2021

Spell the Month in Books ~ October

 

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

OCTOBER

O
Homer "Odyssey" (Ancient Greek: Ομήρου Οδύσσεια, Odýsseia) - 800-600 BC
This is an epic story. I am not much into poetry but you can read this almost like a novel. This story is over 2,000 years old and it still captures us today.

C
Cabré, Jaume "Confessions" (Catalan: Jo Confesso) - 2011
This book always plays on different levels, different times and stories run alongise each other. The life of a Nazi henchman is interwoven with that of a Spanish inquisitor from the Middle Ages.

T
Liao, Yiwu "Testimonials or: For a Song and a Hundred Songs: A Poet's Journey Through a Chinese Prison" (Chinese: 證詞/Zheng-Ci) - 2000
The book "describes the horrific treatment of Liao Yiwu and other political prisoners in a Chongqing prison who were arrested after the June 4, 1989 crackdown".

O
Gabaldon, Diana "Outlander" (UK: Cross Stich) - 1991
This is not my kind of read but many of my friends have told me I should read this.

B
Morrison, Toni "Beloved" - 1987
This is one of my favourite books ever. The author uses a lot of symbolism unknown to us, yet, explains the world of the slaves so lively, you can really feel their pains.

E
Jessop, Carolyn "Escape" - 2007
Even though this is a book about one terrible thing after another, it is also a book of hope, that there is something you can do in a hopeless situation, where everyone tells you it's impossible to get away from but it shows there is hope.

R
Byatt, A.S. "Ragnarok. The End of the Gods" - 2011
A retelling of the Norse mythology. I really enjoyed the author's "Thoughts on Myth" at the end of the stories where she explains where certain words come from and why she was re-writing something that has been written already a hundred times before.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh...and all of them a one word title. Well done! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried, Lark. And was lucky that I didn't start at the beginning of the year, otherwise I am sure "R"s and "E"s would have long gone. LOL

      Delete